Revision from Gastric bypass: Sleeve or DS?

BarbaraSCL
on 9/26/16 2:29 pm

I've been reading the forum, and I've read a lot about the DS; my question is: If the bypass have caused me a chronic anemia, would I still be a good candidate for DS? It definitely sounds more 'definite' than the sleeve...when I had the gastric bypass, I was not psychologically ready, but now it is way different, I've grown, I'm 40 years, old, I had 2 kids....life is different.  But still, losing the malabsorption does make me nervous....what would you recommend?

Thank you. :)

Mai23
on 9/26/16 3:37 pm

Do you remember your labs before the RNY? The reason I ask is because there is the small possibility that your anemia is not RNY related. I was anemic before sleeve, and was after. I'm a vegetarian, it comes with the territory. When I remember I drink an irrevocably foul iron supplement that helps a lot.  

A lot of people with DS end up getting iron transfusions. I have been researching like crazy, and have talked to so many DS Drs. (I was looking for a solution to GERD with sleeve, but considering the D.S for weight loss.) What I'm hearing is that iron and calcium seem to the hardest levels to maintain post surgery. 

Anyways, if it were me personally, I'd get the sleeve first (and if possible find someone who does a fundiplication at the same time so you don't end up like a bunch of people on this board with heartburn from another realm). Then, if down the line that's not working, get the D.S. And I say this as someone whose gained a lot of weight back with the sleeve. My reasoning being thus; RNY to either is a very complicated surgery, few people do it to begin with, and even fewer are experts.

Its relatively easy to go from sleeve to D.S but reversing the intestinal switch of a d.s is very uncommon, and I imagine, difficult. 

Yeah it'd be nice to get it all done in one surgery but I'm just telling you what I would do were I in your situation. 

I'm sure others will have differing opinions. 

BarbaraSCL
on 9/26/16 9:26 pm

Thanks for answering!

Yes, I do remember and I'd never had anemia before.

BTW, what is fundiplication?

Thanks again! :-)

Grim_Traveller
on 9/26/16 5:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are a lot better ways to treat anemia than a revision surgery. Revision from RNY to DS or VSG are extremely complex, dangerous surgeries. You can count on both hands the number of surgeons that are qualified.

Converting to DS can get you a host of other vitamin deficiencies. 

Look into different iron supplements or infusions. It's a lot safer.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 9/27/16 8:54 am, edited 9/27/16 1:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 26, 2016 at 9:29 PM Pacific Time, BarbaraSCL wrote:

I've been reading the forum, and I've read a lot about the DS; my question is: If the bypass have caused me a chronic anemia, would I still be a good candidate for DS? It definitely sounds more 'definite' than the sleeve...when I had the gastric bypass, I was not psychologically ready, but now it is way different, I've grown, I'm 40 years, old, I had 2 kids....life is different.  But still, losing the malabsorption does make me nervous....what would you recommend?

Thank you. :)

before I gotta revision for anemia, I would try WWW.Patchmd.com. They are vits on a patch. I have been using them for a year and my labs are the best ever. I got so anemic I needed a blood transfusion and a round of IV iron and since I have been using the iron patch, my iron values are great.

i don't work for them or get a kickback from them. Just love the patches!

hipswishingvinegarball
on 9/27/16 11:48 am

If low iron is the only reason you are looking at revision, there is NO WAY I'd undergo surgery when you can otherwise take iron supplements, or have an iron infusion. No. way. 

The RNY may have slightly more problem with iron absorption, but the DS will malabsorb other vitamins at a greater rate, particularly the fat solubles (A,D,E and K). With either one of these malabsorptive surgeries you MUST get thorough labs (like 12-24 vials of blood drawn) and follow them to adjust your supplementation. 

The sleeve does not have malabsorption, but people who have it are still supposed to supplement, but laxity in this area with sleeve won't kill you like it can with RNY or DS. 

Most Active
Recent Topics