Revision/Chats

gharris31
on 1/18/17 12:05 am - Florissant, MO

Hello I've installed Java on my Dell that I just purchased from the MAC store this year.  I don't know the other information but it is a current model so I am wondering why I can not chat.  Is there anyone on her that has experience similar to mine?  In 2003 I had RNY surgery and at my heaviest I was 327 lbs and I am 5'5 rounded up a little.  In 2009 I flew to Mexico and had a lap band placed over my RNY that they said the tissue scared and something was off with the results.  I was 231 for that surgery.  In 2012 I had a son and had to have a C-section.  At my heaviest I was 277 and have only made it down to 250 presently and sometime up to 5 lbs more.  I have had the fills.  I feel hungry and have been drinking more water.  I am just so frustrated and have been seeing a therapist for almost 2 years.  I feel like I keep going around the same circles.  I have decided that I would like a revision of the band to a sleeve.  Is there any helpful information that you can give me?

peachpie
on 1/18/17 5:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

So you had RNY in 03 but never mentioned if you made it to your goal. If not- why not? If so, what habits of yours was responsible for the regain? Skip to 2012 and you had a band placed over your pouch. But your details are vague about scar tissue. Now you want a sleeve. But has your band been evaluated to see if it's caused any damage? And the rny scar tissue that led to the band -- that may impact your ability to be converted again to another surgery. 

What your not speaking to is your nutrition-- what are you eating? Drinking? How often? How much? 

I'd be very of leery of a 3rd surgery. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

ladygodiva1228
on 1/18/17 6:39 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 18, 2017 at 8:05 AM Pacific Time, gharris31 wrote:

Hello I've installed Java on my Dell that I just purchased from the MAC store this year.  I don't know the other information but it is a current model so I am wondering why I can not chat.  Is there anyone on her that has experience similar to mine?  In 2003 I had RNY surgery and at my heaviest I was 327 lbs and I am 5'5 rounded up a little.  In 2009 I flew to Mexico and had a lap band placed over my RNY that they said the tissue scared and something was off with the results.  I was 231 for that surgery.  In 2012 I had a son and had to have a C-section.  At my heaviest I was 277 and have only made it down to 250 presently and sometime up to 5 lbs more.  I have had the fills.  I feel hungry and have been drinking more water.  I am just so frustrated and have been seeing a therapist for almost 2 years.  I feel like I keep going around the same circles.  I have decided that I would like a revision of the band to a sleeve.  Is there any helpful information that you can give me?

If they said something about scar tissue already when the band was placed (which personally was a bad choice) then you may to much damage to even revise to the sleeve.  Most folks revise from the sleeve to the bypass not the other way around. 

Making this your third WLS what do YOU plan on doing differently?  If you didn't make it work with the bypass or the band over bypass what makes you think having the sleeve will work? 

What does your daily menu look like?  How much are you eating?  Are you measuring and tracking everything you eat?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Grim_Traveller
on 1/18/17 7:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Revising from a band to a sleeve is very common. But you don't have a band. You have a band over bypass. So you would first need the band removed. Then you'd need your stomach to heal from having had the band. Then, down yhe road, you would need to revise from a bypass to a sleeve. Which is really, really rare, and very difficult. And very risky

They would first need to reverse your bypass, and put everything back the way it was. And then give you a sleeve. Not many doctors are able, or willing to do that. The risk is too great.

And the results are poor. You stand to lose less weight with a sleeve than a bypass. The malabsorption you now have from the bypass would be gone. There is really no reason at all for you to get a sleeve. Sorry.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/18/17 7:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but honestly -- surgery isn't magic.  It will not fix your head.  

I would consider using the tools you already have and seek out help for your relationship with food.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

chris_ruff
on 1/18/17 7:50 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

removing a band and then taking down a scarred RNY and then converting to a VSG sounds dangerous to me, and rare. i think you'll have a hard time finding a competent surgeon. but even if you did, that's only the beginning.

what others have said is right, only your habits and behaviors will ultimately give you the weight loss and maintenance you want. i wish there were a magic surgery too but alas its up to the individual. 

--Christina
Travelher
on 1/18/17 10:04 am
Revision on 10/04/16

agree with everyone that it sounds like a risky surgery that is not likely to give you different results.  I have heard of people going from RNY to DS, because it provides even more malabsorption, but i suspect the band over bypass will have created complications that could make that a pretty risky proposition.  

My understanding of revisions is that revisions of sleeve or RNY because of lack of weight loss tend not to yield significantly different results. 

unagordita
on 1/18/17 8:08 pm

I found this information on MEXICALI BARIATRIC SURGERY CENTER, they're the best. I didn't have my surgery here but am considering a revision here.

Even though Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) is one the most effective kind of surgeries regarding weight loss, there are a number of patients not losing enough weight after undergoing this operation, so Revision Weight Loss Surgery is sometimes required in order to obtain the desired weight loss. The following are the two most common beliefs causing VSG surgery failure:

• For a stretched stomach, undergoing re-sleeving via a Revision Surgery may be enough.
  • In some other cases, a Duodenal Switch or Ileal Transpositon should be performed so patients improve a certain metabolic and/or food malabsorptive aspect of their entire process, thus completing the purpose of a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

When undergoing the process of a Revision Surgery with the purpose to switch from Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy to a Duodenal Switch, there is less risk than that of performing the latter as a first-time weight loss surgery, because a completed VSG surgery involves part of the process that the Duodenal Switch surgery requires, thus resulting in a shorter procedure.

Stretching the stomach is not always the best procedure, since it may cause other problems different than regaining weight or inadequate weight loss. The stomach's tube may stretch in a non-uniform manner, thus having parts of the stomach tube larger than the others and the stomach takes the shape of an hourglass, with the upstream and downstream portions being large and separated by a very narrow part. Food intake in itself does not increase because of this reason, but it sure causes disordered and/or uncomfortable eating. Depending on the symptoms a patient presents and the volume of food consumption, there are two revision options resulting in a more direct food flow through the stomach.

So it's not necessarily a bad procedure.

Travelher
on 1/18/17 8:28 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

No one said a sleeve was a bad procedure, but bypass to band over bypass to sleeve?  super risky and nothing to do with the procedure you posted.  I know a YouTuber who wanted to do a revision from band over bypass to DS.  her surgeon won't for her safety.  Finding nirvana on youtube...she's very forthcoming on the reasons.  

The sleeve is the first step in the ds...so ds is easier for first time sleevers...in the above case the sleeve would be a third surgery and alone would be very risky....first they would have to remove the band...one surgery...likely there will be damage and scar tissue at this point that will mean the patient will have to recover for 3-6 months before any othe surgeries.  Then they have to have another surgery to re-attach the original stomach and re-attach the the intestine...likely a separate  procedure...then they would have to go in and cut the the stomach out to create the sleeve.

one of the biggest risks in a revision is scar tissue, it is why so many are done in two step procedures.  In a standard band revision they can cut around the scar tissue to revise to a sleeve and make a bigger stomach...can't do that on an rny pouch.  If it is too thick or too much the staples won't hold.  Then you die.  

chris_ruff
on 1/19/17 5:19 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
On January 19, 2017 at 4:08 AM Pacific Time, unagordita wrote:

I found this information on MEXICALI BARIATRIC SURGERY CENTER, they're the best. I didn't have my surgery here but am considering a revision here.

Even though Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) is one the most effective kind of surgeries regarding weight loss, there are a number of patients not losing enough weight after undergoing this operation, so Revision Weight Loss Surgery is sometimes required in order to obtain the desired weight loss. The following are the two most common beliefs causing VSG surgery failure:

• For a stretched stomach, undergoing re-sleeving via a Revision Surgery may be enough.
  • In some other cases, a Duodenal Switch or Ileal Transpositon should be performed so patients improve a certain metabolic and/or food malabsorptive aspect of their entire process, thus completing the purpose of a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

When undergoing the process of a Revision Surgery with the purpose to switch from Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy to a Duodenal Switch, there is less risk than that of performing the latter as a first-time weight loss surgery, because a completed VSG surgery involves part of the process that the Duodenal Switch surgery requires, thus resulting in a shorter procedure.

Stretching the stomach is not always the best procedure, since it may cause other problems different than regaining weight or inadequate weight loss. The stomach's tube may stretch in a non-uniform manner, thus having parts of the stomach tube larger than the others and the stomach takes the shape of an hourglass, with the upstream and downstream portions being large and separated by a very narrow part. Food intake in itself does not increase because of this reason, but it sure causes disordered and/or uncomfortable eating. Depending on the symptoms a patient presents and the volume of food consumption, there are two revision options resulting in a more direct food flow through the stomach.

So it's not necessarily a bad procedure.

this blurb is about revising a virgin VSG. the OP has a BOB, so this doesn't apply. 

this blurb is also misleading. 

this blurb is also very poorly written. 

--Christina
Most Active
Recent Topics