Revision VSG to RNY

mamatothree
on 10/19/17 8:14 am - Charleston, SC

Hi there.

I had a sleeve in 2011 and lost almost 100#. I was able to keep of 90 of those pounds for about 3 years, until I started having GI issues. After finally being diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis and SIBO, I was able to get treatment for them. For the last two years, though, I've been having silent reflux which wasn't diagnosed until having a barium swallow test last year. I've tried all of the meds but I can't stay on them long term because of a greater risk for osteoporosis in my family. My bariatric suregon suggested that I do a revision to RNY to resolve the reflux issue and I have been approved by my insurance company.

For those who have done it, how much weight could I anticipate losing? And what is the recovery like?

Thanks in advance!

ljbarbara
on 10/19/17 3:16 pm

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble GI wise. I know how miserable that is.

I was revised to RNY from a sleeve due to severe GERD. I have had no reflux since the surgery. It's really given my life back to me. Needless to say, I'm a definite proponent of revising to RNY for GERD relief!

I did not intentionally lose weight post surgery other than a few pounds. I'm 5'7" and weigh 120 lbs so I really didn't need to lose any more. (I never believed those words would ever exist in something I had to say!)

You will have the same type honeymoon period you had with your original surgery to lose weight, BUT.....you probably have less weight to lose than you originally did so this experience will be different. I also believe that because you have already had a stomach surgery, you know more what to expect and it's easier to start eating again.

I felt that recovery was easier and that was probably because I knew more what to expect. Hopefully, that will be the same for you too.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message.

Barbara

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

mamatothree
on 10/20/17 8:43 am - Charleston, SC

Thank you!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

stacyrg
on 10/19/17 4:32 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I disagree a bit with ljbarbara. I don't believe you get the same honeymoon period after a revision that you get with a "virgin" wls. I revised from VSG to RNY in 7/2016. I was 12-15 lbs from goal. My surgeon told me it could take me a year to lose the weight; that the weight doesn't come off like it did with the first surgery. It took me about months to get back down to goal. So, I think that while you will lose weight, it takes a bit more effort and time than with a brand new surgery.

My recovery was easier with my revision to RNY but I attribute that to being 120 lbs lighter and in shape. I was in the hospital for 3 nights, by choice. I could have been discharged after 2. I missed 8 days of work.

ljbarbara
on 10/19/17 6:25 pm

Thank you Stacy. I was really just going on anecdotal info about the honeymoon period because I did not have that experience myself. That's excellent information and I'll feel more comfortable in any future responses. Again, thanks!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

mamatothree
on 10/20/17 8:46 am - Charleston, SC

Thank You both for your candor! I really appreciate it. I have about 50-60 lbs to get to my goal. I'm trying to figure out if it is feasible to do it in a year with RNY....

I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on my progress!

sheriberi29
on 10/20/17 7:38 pm - Cleveland, TN

Definatly don't get the same benefit as the original surgery . My revision weight loss average is exactly 1 lbs per month .... with the exception of the first month of 16 lbs and second was 8 or so( you can check out my stats At the bottom) I posted them each moth bc my memory is crap lol!!! However , I wish you good luck in your revision . I do believe you'll find a great source of knowledge here ...... my first total year after revision loss equaled close to 45 lbs

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/20/17 3:54 pm

I have RNY and ... now i deal with SIBO and GERD...

Unfortunately - RNY predisposed me to SIBO. Make sure you stay on top of the SIBO and try to control with diet after the revision.

I was told that once a person gets SIBO - it can be close to impossible to get rid of it completely.

Over last few years I have been on a few rounds of antibiotics for it. Plus I follow a rather strict diet. It gets better for a while, then slowly the symptoms returning and when I get really tired of them - I treat it again.

I hope you have better luck than I do in getting rid of it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

obxhatteraslight
on 10/21/17 3:51 pm - baldwinsville, NY

I do not think anyone can tell you exactly how much you will lose b/c everyone is different. I personally have lost most of my reflux and 125 lbs

good luck

dorothyg713
on 2/4/18 5:28 am
Revision on 04/01/18

Hi did you lose 125 after revision?

Most Active
Recent Topics