Revision from band to sleeve --- Tricare

sleasley
on 11/2/17 1:54 am - Surprise, AZ

Anyone have any recent experience with getting Tricare to approve revision from lap band to gastric sleeve?

I was banded in 2004 (4cc band) and everything was great until 2009, when I had my first unfill. Since then I have had nothing but complications...GERD, aspiration at night, the list goes on and I can not tolerate any fluid in my band at all.

I am 20lbs away from my pre-band weight and I have given up on it. My surgeon will be submitting pre-authorization request to Tricare within the week for a revision to the sleeve.

ladygodiva1228
on 11/2/17 7:09 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On November 2, 2017 at 8:54 AM Pacific Time, sleasley wrote:

Anyone have any recent experience with getting Tricare to approve revision from lap band to gastric sleeve?

I was banded in 2004 (4cc band) and everything was great until 2009, when I had my first unfill. Since then I have had nothing but complications...GERD, aspiration at night, the list goes on and I can not tolerate any fluid in my band at all.

I am 20lbs away from my pre-band weight and I have given up on it. My surgeon will be submitting pre-authorization request to Tricare within the week for a revision to the sleeve.

Just a small word of caution. The sleeve is a great surgery, but if you have GERD, Reflux, heartburn or anything similar to them I personally would not advise getting the sleeve as it can cause those symptoms to be worse. I myself am a band to bypass revision due to horrible reflux/heartburn caused by the band and the sleeve ended up not being an option for me.

Best of luck with getting a revision approval and getting that band out.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

CRS
on 11/14/17 6:22 pm

Hi. I got my band out and several bariatric surgeons (don't ask) all 3 advise revision to bypass and I didnt complain of have reflux. One doctor said to me "what good would the sleeve be if u have to sleep standing up." So if u already have GERD I would speak to your doctor about it. And don't feel bad about the weight gain. I've gained my entire 95 lbs back. It' a Common thing and unfortunately the nature of the beast. But we'll get it right this time with our revision surgery. None of the doctors I've seen recommend the band much anymore as they don't see enough long term success with the lapband. Best of luck. I hope this helped.

Most Active
Recent Topics