Looking for anyone that has went from the sleeve to DS

Johari22
on 2/12/18 4:29 pm - San Antonio, TX

Hello,

I was searching the forum for those who went from a sleeve to DS due to issues with GERD.

Thanks

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
A negative mind will never give you a POSITIVE result!
5' 8"
HW 292, SW 280, CW 270.0

hollykim
on 2/12/18 5:16 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM Pacific Time, Johari22 wrote:

Hello,

I was searching the forum for those who went from a sleeve to DS due to issues with GERD.

Thanks

you don't really "go from the sleeve to the DS".

Avirgon DS includes a sleeved stomach.

convertong from the sleeve on to the DS simply adds bypassing some of the intestines, creating malabsorption.

converting to a DS won't help your gerd since you will still have a sleeved stomach.

the only revision that might cure gerd is a gastric bypass or RNY.

Johari22
on 2/13/18 5:28 pm - San Antonio, TX

Thanks, as I searched, I began to find a lot of info on RNY may stop or slow the effects of GERD. I also never reached my goal weight, lost 71 lbs. It was like my body, just stopped. Then I tripped a broke a toe a few yrs ago and haven't been able to get started again. Been reading the forums and may think that Yoga may be a great option for me.

5' 8"
HW 292, SW 280, CW 270.0

califsleevin
on 2/14/18 12:56 pm - CA

The one area where a DS conversion may help you with GERD problems is if your sleeve is poorly shaped and promoting the reflux. 6-8 years ago, most bariatric surgeons were fairly new to the sleeve and didn't know all the subtleties and nuances that can make or break a successful procedure; likewise, many bariatric surgeons aren't that familiar today with how to correct a faulty sleeve and opt instead to stay within their comfort zone and revise to a bypass as their default.

Having a well experienced DS/VSG surgeon evaluate your situation (as a primary or second opinion, which it sounds like you are doing) can help in making a good decision. From my experience, most of the legacy DS surgeons are not afraid to recommend a bypass if that is what the patient needs, but the DS will probably give better weight loss results if he can identify the root of the GERD problem.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Johari22
on 2/21/18 6:19 pm - San Antonio, TX

Califsleevin,

I saw my new Dr. yesterday and he actually gave me a few options: correct my current sleeve and do the overstitch procedure, do the bypass or DS. I have an appointment to get my endoscopy on March 5th. Dr. Duperier said he needs to see what is going on. Hopefully, he will be able to do just that and get me back on track. Thanks for your input!

5' 8"
HW 292, SW 280, CW 270.0

Most Active
Recent Topics