Nicotine Testing Stress

KalypsoDs
on 2/13/18 8:44 pm

My first surgery, it took 3 months from when I finished my appointments to when I actually got my surgery. I'm now doing a revision. After a ton of stress, I'd unfortunately picked up smoking again. My plan was to wait until my last appointment, and then quit, as I "knew" I'd then have the required 3 months.

That didn't happen. I had switched my insurance in the middle of the process, and this insurance approved immediately. Packet was sent Friday, and I got the call this morning that I was approved and was given my surgery date.

Pre-Op work, including Nicotine testing, is on the 19th. I tossed the pack of cigarettes as soon as I got the call in a panic, as again, I truly did not expect this. Now I'm terrified that my monumental screw-up of timing is going to cost me my surgery.

Yes, I should have quit sooner. Extenuating cir****tances. However, now I'm reading everything online that I can find, trying to figure out just how badly my results might read.

I am 380lbs, 5'5. I've been a pack a day smoker for years, but gave it up 5 years ago, and only started back again last August. I did pass the test for my first surgery without issue. I didn't have any cigarettes before getting the phone call this morning, so today (13th) is day one.

I plan to drink water like a fish to flush out toxins, which I normally do anyways. Has anyone else gone through this so close to their pre-op testing? Is there anything else that might help lower the levels enough to pass? Obviously, I will not be adding any further nicotine to my system. Any advice that might help is welcome!

swtmelissa
on 2/14/18 1:33 pm - West Allis, WI

No advice but good luck!!!

KalypsoDs
on 2/18/18 10:22 pm

Thank you! Testing is tomorrow, I'm hoping and praying my waterlogged self has flushed everything through my system as best as I can! :)

mickeybaby
on 2/28/18 2:46 pm - Normal, IL

So....how did it go?

I'm asking because I'm a smoker and I'm afraid I may be fast tracked for surgery. Help! I don't feel ready to quit! Or able to!!

KalypsoDs
on 2/28/18 3:27 pm

Hello! I passed! Lots and lots of water and Vitamin C, and I passed as a nonsmoker that hangs around a few smokers, at least that's what it said when I looked up the level determinations. Good luck! I wasn't ready either, but I kept telling myself- to lose weight, it's worth it to me!

Jessmolina1989
on 8/15/18 3:05 pm

Hi! I just had a question? What type of test was give, urine or blood? And when did you stop smoking before they give you the test? Thanks so much hope to hear back from you!

Most Active
Recent Topics