Sleeve to RNY Issues

Bridisskinnyy
on 3/8/18 5:24 pm
RNY on 02/23/18

I had the sleeve 3/24/17 and was so successful. Got almost to goal weight but had developed reflux. I had a revision to bypass on 2/23/18. Recovery is terrible so far. And yes, I've discussed all of this with my surgeon but he says this is temporary. For some reason, I don't believe that.

I was progressed to full liquids at 3 days po. I wasn't able to tolerate so went back to clear. At 10 days po I was progressed to purée. Mind you, the only way I've been able to go to the bathroom is with an enema. I was diagnosed with IBS-C after my sleeve. But it's worse than ever. I've been out on Linzess to help with that issue. So back to my diet, I'm now on liquids because I can't tolerste anything. My water intake is great because that's the only thing that doesn't nauseate me. I'm on alternating doses of Phenegran and Zofran. I'm now on more meds and more of a medical regimen than ever in my life. Not to mention, I just feel like crap. Will this subside or is this my new norm with the bypass? The dr said that I would hardly have any differences from the sleeve recovery to the bypass recovery, boy was he wrong! I just need hope at this point that this isn't my new life now.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/18 5:24 am

Bypass recovery is like being hit by a Mack truck... that's why they did the sleeve and the band before it !

Its seriously major surgery ... get used to the idea of many weeks of recovery and adhering to your surgeons guidelines.

You were very lucky to get this revision... make the most of it. (((())) hugs

Bridisskinnyy
on 3/9/18 5:30 am
RNY on 02/23/18

Glad to know this! I am definitely sticking to my surgeons direction. I am so lucky that I even found a surgeon to do it, I had such a hard time. Anymore progression of the esophagus issues and it would've been classified as Barrett's Esophagus. I had no issues getting approved once I found a surgeon.

tam.daelynn
on 4/20/18 6:57 pm
On March 9, 2018 at 1:30 PM Pacific Time, Bridisskinnyy wrote:

Glad to know this! I am definitely sticking to my surgeons direction. I am so lucky that I even found a surgeon to do it, I had such a hard time. Anymore progression of the esophagus issues and it would've been classified as Barrett's Esophagus. I had no issues getting approved once I found a surgeon.

Is Barrett's Esophagus a reason for insurance to get approved for revision from sleeve to bypass? I had the lapband years ago and had nothing but problem. They revised me to a sleeve and I got down to a healthy weight. I have developed severe reflux since the sleeve and last year was diagnosed with barrett's Esophagus ( by someone who had no clue about any bariatric surgery). I'm taking 4 pills a day for the reflux and I am still in a lot of pain due to reflux. I have an appointment next month for a follow-up egd... I was not planning on getting a revision but my pcp told me that I need to do something because the medications are not working. I have not spoken to the dr that completed my revision. I moved out of state and am nowhere near him....

Grim_Traveller
on 3/9/18 10:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is not typical, but it happens. If you had trouble with fluids it would potentially be a much bigger issue. But transitioning from fluids to food can result in the problems you are having.

It should start getting better. None of us go through this long term. Once you are healed, you shouldnt feel the difference between a sleeve and RNY.

And RNY is an older procedure, until recently done in much greater numbers than the sleeve, not the other way around.

Hang in there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 3/9/18 3:23 pm - WI

Revisions are much harder to bounce back from. Give it some time and progress your food very slowly. You probably have a great deal of swelling from the GERD along with the revision surgery. Remember that your stomach was radically altered twice. It is bound to be a little sensitive.

I promise it will get better. Been there, done that...and doing great. I had a VBG in 1986 and was revised to RNY in 2010. My recovery from revision surgery was very difficult. It took almost a full year to feel really good. Just keep plugging along.

(BTW RNY surgery has been around since the late 1890's. Sleeve surgery is not older than the RNY as one poster said.)

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Bridisskinnyy
on 3/9/18 3:27 pm
RNY on 02/23/18

Each day is getting a bit better. I was able to work 7 hours today. Then I ran some errands. I'm at home now and feeling tired but not exhausted like usual. I'm defintely looking forward to a restful weekend.

GRANDMAr
on 3/12/18 9:52 am
VSG on 10/21/16

FIRST, PLEASE PARDON ALL CAPS. MY FINGERS HURT AND THIS IS EASIEST FOR ME.

I WAS SLEEVED 10/21/16 AT THE AGE OF 61. MY RECOVERY WAS NOT TOO BAD WITH REGARD TO EATING. THERE WERE CERTAIN FOODS AND PROTEIN DRINKS I COULD NOT TOLERATE, BUT I DID FIND SOME. FOR, ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS FOR ME WAS TO DIGES****ER!

AT MY 1 YEAR CHECK UP, I HAD LOST 65 POUNDS BUT BETWEEN 80-90 POUNDS SINCE THIS JOURNEY BEGAN. I'VE GOTTEN ABOUT 14 POUNDS TO GOAL. ONCE I GOT THERE, THAT IS WHEN THE TROUBLE BEGAN. I DO GET HUNGRY AND MY TURN OFF SIGNAL IS NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS RIGHT AFTER SURGERY. I NOW JUMP UP AND DOWN 10 POUNDS, MAKING MY GOAL NOW 14-24 POUNDS DEPENDING ON WHERE MY WEIGHT HAS JUMPED TO.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO SAY THAT FOR PHYSICAL ISSUES (NOT RELATED TO WEIGHT), I TAKE MEDS THAT PLAY HAVOC WITH ME. WHEN I TAKE THEM, WHICH IS A MUST, AT TIMES, MY APPETITE GOES CRAZY AND I FEED INTO IT. I KNOW THAT IS WRONG BUT IT FEELS LIKE SOMETHING HAS TAKEN OVER MY COMMON SENSE.

WHEN I DECIDED ON THE SLEEVE, IT WAS FOR A COUPLE OF REASONS. THE MAIN REASON I PICKED THE SLEEVE IS BECAUSE I DEVELOPED STOMACH POLYUPS (SPELLING?). AS A RESULT, I NEED TO GET AN ENDOSCOPY TO MAKE SURE WE GET ANY MORE THAT GROW. THESE GROWTHS CAN TURN INTO CANCER.

I WAS TOLD BY THE NURSE PRACTIONER, BEFORE SURGERY, THAT BECAUSE THE SLEEVE ONLY REDUCES THE SIZE OF THE STOMACH AND DOES NOT RE-ROUTE ANYTHING, IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME IN ORDER TO GET MY ENDOSCOPY. I DID THINK THE BYPASS WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME BASED ON MY PERSONALITY, BUT AT THAT POINT, IT DIDN'T MAKE MEDICAL SENSE.

WHY ALL THIS INFORMATION??? I AM REALLY THINKING ABOUT ADDRESSING A REVISION WITH MY SURGEON. FORGETTING THE ISSUE OF BEING ABLE TO GET THE ENDOSCOPY FOR THE MOMENT, I AM WORNDERING IF IT WOULD BE IMPROVED BY MY INSURANCE BECAUSE I NO LONGER HAVE THE PROBLEMS NEEDED FOR THE FIRST SURGERY. RIGHT NOW, MY REFLUX HAS STARTED TO ACT UP AND I CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE THOSE EXTRA 20 OR SO POUNDS. YES, I KNOW IT IS MY FAULT, BUT THE MEDS I TAKE AND SOME OF MY MEDICAL ISSUES WILL NOT CHANGE.

I AM VERY CONFUSED!!!!!!!

Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

ShebasMom
on 3/14/18 7:25 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I had rny in 2011 and distal revision in 2016. I was dx with IBS-C 20+ years ago. Before rny, I used Metamucil once a day. After rny, I switched to Miralax, once a day and 1000 mg mag oxide. After the distal revision, I use Konsyl (similar to Metamucil) twice a day, Linzess 290 mg daily, Miralax 3x day and 2000 mg of mag oxide. The increase in protein and calcium citrate made me more constipated after both surgeries. I've also suffered with 5 rectal fissures after last surgery. (there is a correlation...Konsyl was off market for the 9 months I suffered with 4 fissures) Besides my GI MD of 20+ years, I also see a GI surgeon. Both are aware of my regimen. I'm not sure what you are taking, but due to the increased protein and calcium needs, you will need to take something daily to help you stay regular. The regimen I use is safe to take daily. What you don't want is a stimulant laxative that will change your bowel structure and cause dependence on them.

Some of your constipation earlier could be related to pain meds. I pooped a rock after first wls and was prepared with Miralax with revision surgery. Are you taking a PPI (Nexium/Prilosec/Prevacid)? That could help you with your nausea. Some doctors prescribe it for 6-12 months after wls. I was on it already due to severe GERD and had to double the dose after revision for almost a year.

I forgot...what type of iron are you taking? Ferrous Sulfate is very constipating. I switched to carbonyl iron after rny and stopped using it after 2 years because I wasn't absorbing it and my labs were spiraling down. I switched to Proferrin and absorbing well until distal revision...may be an iron infusion in my future. Your multivitamin has ferrous sulfate in it too, and I switched to generic Centrium Silver (no iron).

I hope I have helped you some. I don't get on OH much since revision and use FB private DS or Distal bypass groups. I'm assuming you're on the rny forum too. Good luck! Donna

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

White Dove
on 3/15/18 11:09 am - Warren, OH

My first non-liquid was a bowl of vegetable soup at three months out. Then I had a half of small Wendy's chili a week later. Everyone heals at their own rate. Give it time. By eighteen months out, I could eat anything.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics