VBG to Sleeve-Dr requires 2 separate procedures-insurance approved.

Cati2d
on 3/17/18 5:28 pm

Hello, i was a member in 2009 before my VBG. I've had numerous complications and hospitalized for obstructions. My surgeon says my hand opening in 6mm-8mm. He got me approved by both my husband and my insurances. But, surgeon requires 2 separate procedures. 1) remove all old VBG remains. When healed 2) Sleeve Gastrectomy.

I do not understand WHY this needs to be so delayed with 2 procedures why can't he just go it all in one? I see him on Monday (2 days) but I HATE my job and I need to resign but can't due to needing the insurance.

Can anyone explain why 2 procedures are needed???

Thank you everyone I'm happy and sad to be back on here.

cat

highest weight pre VBG 273 lb

lowest post VBG 182 lb

current 228 lb

airbender
on 3/17/18 9:47 pm
On March 18, 2018 at 12:28 AM Pacific Time, Cati2d wrote:

Hello, i was a member in 2009 before my VBG. I've had numerous complications and hospitalized for obstructions. My surgeon says my hand opening in 6mm-8mm. He got me approved by both my husband and my insurances. But, surgeon requires 2 separate procedures. 1) remove all old VBG remains. When healed 2) Sleeve Gastrectomy.

I do not understand WHY this needs to be so delayed with 2 procedures why can't he just go it all in one? I see him on Monday (2 days) but I HATE my job and I need to resign but can't due to needing the insurance.

Can anyone explain why 2 procedures are needed???

Thank you everyone I'm happy and sad to be back on here.

cat

highest weight pre VBG 273 lb

lowest post VBG 182 lb

current 228 lb

this will be a general response, best to ask your surgeon.

Essentially VBG cause a host of complications-even if the patient is unaware of them till surgeon finds them on OR day. VBG is removed and the tissue is allowed to heal before a VSG can be performed as leaks across the staple line in VSG are very difficult to treat and can be fatal.

So in the meantime give your body the best it can get, by eating right, exercising, and resting. Your body will thank you.

good luck in your journey

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

rocky513
on 3/19/18 4:39 pm - WI

I had my VBG revised to RNY all in one procedure. It was a LONG surgery to repair the damage from VBG. With the VBG they actually punch a large hole through the top of the stomach and place a band in. It causes severe damage and scarring. The band almost always implants itself in the stomach and adheres to the liver and is very difficult to remove.

Did you have GERD from your VBG? If so I would not recommend getting the sleeve surgery. GERD symptoms can get much worse with the sleeve.

Knowing the anatomy of the VBG I'm having trouble understanding how it can even be revised to a sleeve. It makes more sense to have an RNY revision (based on the anatomy of a VBG). RNY creates a pouch at the top of the stomach right above where the VBG band was placed and reroutes a section of intestines. There is a much smaller staple line that has a better chance to heal with the excess scar tissue from the VBG. The remnant stomach (with the bulk of scarring from the band) is separated from the pouch, but left in place. It's still attached to the intestines below the new roux limb so it still functions to produce digestive juices to aid in the digestion of food in the intestines. I'm unsure how the large hole and band damage from VBG can be repaired enough to create a sleeve.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics