!5 years post op Weight Gain Found fistula...

Cshellz
on 7/9/18 8:51 am

I am currently 15 years post op and with in the last year started gaining weight along with severe heart burn and pain. I have undergone EGD, CT of Abdomen with contrast and Xrays with Barium. I was told I have a hernia and fistula. I am hoping to find to find others that may have had these issues and discuss their experiences. How the issues were handled etc...

THANK YOU!

MarinaGirl
on 7/9/18 1:12 pm

What has the doctor recommended to you; surgery?

Cshellz
on 7/10/18 7:02 am

Yes, surgery

larra
on 7/9/18 3:09 pm - bay area, CA

What this means is that there is a connection between the pouch and the rest of your stomach, usually referred to as the blind stomach. This is a recognized complication of RNY gastric bypass that can't occur with DS, because with the DS a sleeve is created instead of a pouch, and the rest of the stomach is removed.

With the pouch and the rest of your stomach now connected, you have lost the restriction that is the main means of weight loss with gastric bypass (since the little bit of caloric malabsorption you started with is long gone). Thus your "tool" is gone, and only surgery will bring it back. I would suggest that you use this complication as an opportunity to get converted to a DS, which is a better operation in so many ways - use of your pyloric valve instead of the abnormal connection between the pouch and the small intestine, ability to safely take NSAIDs, and best statistics for excess weight loss and for maintenance of that weight loss of any bariatric surgery. There are only a few DS surgeons who do this complicated revision, so you need to choose carefully.

I knew, some years ago, someone who had the same complication and she was revised successfully to a DS, so it can be done. Most info coming to you in a pm, so look for it.

Larra

Cshellz
on 7/10/18 7:01 am

Thank you so much for your response, Larra. I meet with the surgeon on July 17th to discuss surgery for this and I have a hiatal hernia as well. I am just a little weary as I am older now, divorced with no family and two wonderful children that are just 11, and 12. I had my RNY open not laparoscopic and I know recovery time was so much longer. My new surgeon is concerned about scar tissue as I had 3 surgeries back to back from complications all those 15 years ago.

Peace & Grace

Shelly

EMGrace541
on 8/3/18 4:06 am

Hi Shelley,

I was wondering what your status is now. I, too am having symptoms and seeing a surgeon on Aug. 14th to see what he recommends. I had a gastrectomy which showed a wide opening & elongated stomach, which this Gastroenterologist has never seen before. He suspects internal hernia and scar tissue so suggested laproscopic surgery by my Bariatric surgeon. I am 5 years out and 1 1/2 years ago started gaining weight & struggle to keep from gaining more. I too have had several surgeries so scar tissue is probable. Hope you have some answers soon. Take care.

Blessings,

Emma

Most Active
Recent Topics