Dr approved me for Distal Bypass

DS80
on 9/10/18 5:51 pm

So I met with the surgeon. I had options I was seriously gearing towards DS but he suggested the Distal for me. Still invasive but shorter surgery time with way less complications. My CW: 242

He basically told me that most patients start at a BMI of 42 usually by 1-2 yrs get down to 30 thats like at 5 lbs excess to lose. Im happy with his reassuring me he said he goes a very short length for greater weightloss. He said he did have instances where he had to lengthen it in patients that had lost too much. Im happy but honedtly have not researched distal bypass?

I still have to do 6 months of dieting and just need to maintain my weight not gain any but Im going to try my absolute hardest to lose as much as I can.

Distal 30 min to 1hr surgery time compared to

DS 4.5 hours with way more risk for complications

Please share any links or information

Thank You!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/10/18 7:51 pm

I have a normal bypass. I don't think I would get distant RNY just for a weight loss.

RNY can cause a lot of issues. Now if you doubled that with severe malabsorption - I personally would not get the ERNY. It may be that the doc you see is not a great, fully experienced with DS, and that he/she want to go with ERNY.

There is a very surgeons to make great RNY into the DS. As far I know, the RNY to DS is a very complicated surgery. I think there is a very difficult set of skills is needed and to to be able to do DS revision.

FYI: at 10 +years post op, I would not consider another WLS. I know my pouch is still working as long as I eat dense proteins.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DS80
on 9/12/18 1:22 pm

I was doing research and I want the DS but all the surgeon kept saying its 30 min to do distal vs 4.5 hrs for DS.

I want to be able to lose the weight and keep it off. I have read alot of stories about how the distal is not as great for a conversion from RNY.

Well I sent over info to John Rabkin

Im waiting to hear from the insurance coordinator.

The surgeon approved me for distal after I said I wanted DS.

He also there is a chance I might have to in 1 even up to 3 more times after to fix the distal if there is too much malabsorption. Is that normal he said he has learned over the course of 20+ years how short he needs to go on the limb?

That one guy was 420 at revision from RNY to Distal he got down to 220 but had horrible edema due to not being able to absorb protein.

So he revised the distal and now the guy is at 199 and happy...

IDK

Confused at 5'2 242

Im worried the distal will not work. The failure rate of success seems high and for most

Grim_Traveller
on 9/12/18 2:22 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like a great deal for your surgeon. Not so good for you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

DS80
on 9/13/18 12:34 pm

That is what I thought...

MarinaGirl
on 9/12/18 3:56 pm, edited 9/12/18 8:59 am

Do you live in California?

I recommend you contact Ara Keshishian, MD in Pasadena, CA for a virtual consult. He's an amazing DS surgeon, and even more importantly, he is one of the few in the U.S. that is skilled enough to do RNY to DS revisions.

catwoman7
on 9/12/18 8:49 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think John Rabkin is one of the few as well (she said she's contacted him, too...)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

DS80
on 9/14/18 8:44 am

MarinaGirl,

So I called Dr. Keshishians office and he answered! I sent in the information form with my insurance info. I am praying that they accept. I thought about this long and hard. I was thinking about my appointment I had with the surgeon and him walking in and saying I have several options that I will need choose. However... after his talking about converting to the distal he gave me no choice to choose. He said I will approve you for the diatal I was like but I have done plenty of research and would like to get the DS and he looked at me in a shock and said you'd rather be in surgery for 4+ hrs vs 30 min.... no you should get the distal. I mean this is my life obviously the RNY failed I just cannot accept that. He does do RNY to DS but maybe does not do them enough.

We'll see ?

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/17/18 2:54 pm

you sleep during surgery so it does not matter to you if it is 1 or 4 hours.

But .. the surgeon gets paid the same. The hospital would get pay more for OR usage.

To me it sounds as he is not very good doing DS and probably any DS he did - have problems now.

I would run away from a doc like that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Thickemz27
on 9/16/18 4:26 pm
Revision on 09/13/18

i had rny gastric bypass in 2009 highest weight 276lbs lowest 150lbs

i just had distal revision on 9/13/18 and today im already 4 lbs down weight before surgery 244lbs revory this time around much diffrent and i was up and walking 3 hours after surgery im not sure about the future but this is a tool and second chance and i honestly think it depends on you and the support that u have listen to your body everyone is diffrent remember everyone at one point was against weightloss surgery and the diffrent types of WLS surgeries until they showed sucess

Most Active
Recent Topics