Revision at Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/18 6:05 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Has anyone here had a sleeve revised to RNY for GERD when their BMI was in the normal range? I'd love to hear your story.

stacyrg
on 9/12/18 11:47 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Yes. And you've already heard my story, but here it is again. I developed severe GERD 8 months post VSG, after having no history of GERD or Reflux. I had a pH study and manometry. My pH study showed my acid was 409% higher than normal. PPIs are ineffective for me (I have a gene mutation that makes me an ultra rapid metabolizer of the medication. It's like taking nothing) and I wouldn't want to be on PPIs for life anyway, even if they did work. Prior to making the decision to revise, I had gained about 10-12 pounds, since the only thing that helped with the acid was ritz crackers. My surgeon told me it could take up to a year to lose the 10 pounds and get back down to goal. It took 5 or 6. I haven't had any issue with losing too much weight or wasting away to skeletor status because of the malapsorbtion. I'm now 2 years post revision and maintaining a healthy weight.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/12/18 12:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

And for the record, you did NOT turn into an emaciated skeleton, right?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

stacyrg
on 9/12/18 12:27 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Nope. I maintain a normal weight according to the BMI charts.

KristinaW917
on 9/17/18 12:18 pm
Revision on 10/01/18

Hi Mahonia,

I was just approved with insurance for revision due to GERD/hernia. I had no doubts the first time around about having the sleeve (well, ok, maybe a little nervous but all was fine) but this time around, I'm really scared. I've heard so many horror stories from people after the revision. I really don't know if I should go forward with it?? Hence, why I got on the forums to hear from others.

There were patients in the waiting room of the doctor's office, talking about all sorts of complications and additional surgeries they had after a revision. I asked the doctor but he said those were rare.

Anybody in the Dallas, TX area?

LDGonza
on 9/22/18 9:13 pm

I'm in arlington. My revision is on oct 11. I am still 40lbs from goal but am worried about complication from an rny. But there is no way im backing out bc this gerd is driving me insane. I mean everything gives me reflux it got to the point where i thought there was no way it was real. I convinced myself it had to be all in my head. Water shouldnt give you reflux. An empty stomach shouldnt give you reflux.

KristinaW917
on 9/23/18 11:08 am
Revision on 10/01/18

That's great...right around the corner! I can't imagine the reflux being that bad. Thankfully w/medication, mine is ok. But I know you can't take medication for life. Which doctor do you see?

LDGonza
on 9/23/18 11:58 am

I see dr dyslin in arlington. He said more meds or revision to rny were my options. He insisted that the decision was solely up to me. Surgery had risks but meds might not help since i was so young being on so many meds for the reat of my life would impact my quality if life. I am apprihensive about sugery of course but i have to think of long terms effects of my decisions right now. I am afraid of waiting any longer and increasing damage to my esophagus. I have regurgited twice today before noon. It's not fun. Both options are scary. But it's the price i am paying for not taking better care of my body.

KristinaW917
on 9/23/18 6:13 pm
Revision on 10/01/18

Yikes! So sorry...yes, that has to be miserable! I get it...I'm scared too....I guess I was nervous before my 1st sleeve and all the surgeries I've had but this (revision to bypass) just seems massive. Glad we have the support of others on here to go through it together :)

ejr
on 9/25/18 6:10 pm - Edison, NJ

Why don't you try the meds first? You can always do the surgery later if they don't work. I have read about people who had GERD for a while after a sleeve but then it resolved. You can take the PPIs long term. I am on them about 25 years (most before any WLS). Also, make sure that you don't have a hiatal hernia. Than can contribute to GERD and can be fixed. They can recur. Mine was supposedly fixed after my band (for 1000 dollars for each of 6 stitches) and then it came back (which is why they said my band was not so effective).

Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics