revision

cancelsbronx
on 9/26/18 7:32 am - Stamford, CT

Hello everyone,

On December of 07 I had my lapband surgery. I did very well for about four years when I encountered slippage. My surgeon gave me the option to have the sleeve and in June of 2011 I had the sleeve done. My starting weight was about 365 when this all started. Recently i have gained 20 pounds with the sleeve. Although I have maintained about 90 pounds off from my original weight I am now 270. MY next option would be the gastric by pass. I am on the calendar for October 10. I am a bit hesitant. I am concerned about leakage etc. Has anyone ever experienced a similar scenario? I have not had any complications with either of my surgeries and I am in overall good health except the 20 pound weight gained. I have been working with a nutritionist for over six months with no improvement.

Thanks,

S

Amy R.
on 9/26/18 10:09 am

Are you having GERD or any other physiological difficulties? Is your sleeve itself not functional?

It seems odd that a surgeon would revise you to an RnY just because you gained some weight. You've got a (presumably) working sleeve and that's technically all you need to fight down the regain. Many of us have had far bigger regains than yours and been successful at losing them without additional surgeries.

Is there anything else you are dealing with that could possibly concern a surgeon enough to revise a functional sleeve to an RnY? The RnY is a great surgery, don't get me wrong. Something just doesn't sit right though, at least from what I see in your post.

Revisions are serious things. Honestly it just seems like there must be some detail you've not shared. Can you tell us more?

cancelsbronx
on 9/27/18 6:14 am - Stamford, CT

I have acid reflex . I have not gone under 250 in 11 years. Im ok in the head . Lol. I have bulging disks RA . i was going to do it a year ago but gave myself time and been seeing a nutritionist for about 7 months.

Thanks

S

Amy R.
on 9/27/18 12:00 pm

This makes much more sense. I know several who've developed GERD and had to revise. Glad you can get it taken care of .

Oh, and just for the record. I don't remember that you weren't "ok in the head".

Good luck and I hope you get it all taken care of soon.

cancelsbronx
on 9/29/18 9:21 am - Stamford, CT

Thank you for your input. I apologize i thought you had written psychological what you wrote was physiological . I have a great sense of humor and although i misunderstood i was not offended . Thanks again for writting back.

momyshaver
on 9/29/18 3:55 am
VSG on 06/28/17

There are no guarantees but the bypass should help with the GERD and you can reduce your risk of the types of complications you might have with bypass by taking your vitamins, (I suggest getting the best vitamins you can and staying on top of your labs), and following your post op guidelines. Be aware of the types of complications are most common so you can seek care if you need it and know where you would go and who you would see. That is the best I can think of. Good luck

cancelsbronx
on 9/29/18 9:25 am - Stamford, CT

Yes i agree with the vitamins and the labs. I will definately look out for complications and adress them right away.

Thanks

S

Zaniiaim
on 10/7/18 12:55 pm - CA

I've rarely met someone with sleeve who didn't eventually go to bypass. The intact small intestine makes all the difference in the world. You're going to be so glad you did it, the weight will fall off compared to your sleeve. Good luck.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

cancelsbronx
on 10/7/18 5:36 pm - Stamford, CT

Thanks for your response to my post. I think that there should be a difference as well. After all, having the sleeve probably prepared me as well as the nutritional counseling for the last six months.

Thanks,

S

Most Active
Recent Topics