Anyone have vsg done in sask?

StrawWalker
on 3/20/11 2:28 pm
I am getting set to have a vsg done in sask. I am wondering if anyone else has had it done here in sask and how they are doing. I have a great deal of confidence in drs Kaban and Pooler as surgeons. They both strike me as being very professional and very competent. I am looking for other experiences and it seems as not many post on the sask site so I certainly appreciate any and all responses. Thanks very much.
StrawWalker
buxom_blossom
on 3/21/11 1:32 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
StrawWalker
on 3/22/11 10:31 am
I should be having it within the next 6 weeks or so.  It is covered by the province.  The bariatric program in Regina do the vsg only in specialized situations.  I am one of those cases. 

There is a support group in Regina.  I am not too sure how you find them but they are there.  You should seek them out for support.  If I lived in Regina, I certainly would be contacting them.  I wish you all the best on your journey.  Please keep us posted.  

What made you decide to go for the vsg as opposed to any other choices? 

Take care.
Straw Walker
PrairieLady
on 3/28/11 5:40 am
I don't mean to pry or anything but what kind of specialized cir****tances may warrant a vsg?  I have a friend who went to Mexico and had the vsg done and she is doing fantastic!  Unfortunately I don't think I could ever afford to go but I don't think the rny is for me.  I really wish they did the vsg here in Sask.
StrawWalker
on 3/28/11 7:21 am

Hey there Prairie Lady,  I totally agree with you that it would be great if they would routinely do the VSG here in Sask.  Personally I think it is the superior procedure.  I could be wrong.  Either way, it is a great tool that is phenomanal for so many.  Look at Billie and how well he is doing with it.  The RNY reduces weight very well but I am quite concerned about the future ramifications of that one.  Maybe I just see and hear all the negative things about it. 

I have been chronically anemic and for over a year I have been supplementing with 3 iron tabs per day and my numbers are just starting to be at the low end of the ranges.  If I were to do the RNY, I would more than likely have to have IV iron frequently which is apparently not fun.  I am blessed that the surgeons are compassionate and skilled enough to provide me with the alternative VSG. 

Keep us posted on your journey.
Take care
Straw Walker

StrawWalker
on 5/23/11 1:54 am
Great news PrairieLady. When I was at my 2 week follow up, I ask Dr. Butler if they were planning on doing more VSG's in Sask now. He said that if the individual was adament about having the VSG then they would. I wanted you to know this. I was very relieved and happy about having it done close to home even though I know that there are fantastic options in other countries. It is much better to have after care close to you. Also, I have to say, Dr. Pooler, Dr. Kaban, and Dr. Butler are some of the finest surgeons anywhere. We are very lucky here in Sask.
Take care
StrawWalker
StrawWalker
on 5/23/11 1:55 am
Joel Sopp
on 3/23/11 1:02 am - Redvers, Canada
www.sbsg.ca

:)

Until Next Time I Remain,  
Joel Sopp

President
Saskatchewan Bariatric Support Group, Inc. (SBSG)
Direct: (306) 531-2751
Email: [email protected]
thinwannabee
on 4/7/11 2:19 pm - Regina, Canada
Susanlo
on 4/13/11 2:27 am - Fort McMurray, Canada
Hi I'm thinking about going to Mexico for my surgery, are you travelling to Tijuana from Texas or are you having the surgery right in Texas. Are  you part of a consulting group in Sask, that is helping you with this? Or did you arrange everything yourself. I know there are two groups in Sask that help with this stuff.

Thanks
Susan
Most Active