Help with recipes, encouragement and pill crushing

kathiesue
on 11/13/06 8:26 am - Hendersonville, TN
Hello everyone! I am post op with the Lap Band 2 1/2 weeks. Please if anyone out there reads this, contact me, I need some support. All of my family say they wished I hadn't have it done, because of the mental stage I have been through. However, I found out today, that my body does not absorb time-released medications anymore from my surgeons office. I have been on cymbalta for over a year, and I didn't know it, but, I still have been taking the medication, opening the capsule, and swallowing the beads. Now, they tell me, my body didn't absorb any of this. So, literally, I took myself off of my anti-depressant cold turkey! I am about to go nuts. So, I called my PCP to see if they can change my medication. Also, does anyone have any recipes or suggestions, or how they eat this stuff all of the time, the chicken, turkey and tuna/fish? PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Kym B.
on 11/13/06 10:06 am - Lawrenceburg, TN
Hi, I am still pre-op and am having RNY but I felt compelled after reading your post to write you with some words of encouragement. I didn't have to quit any meds cold turkey but I did stop smoking cold turkey after 16 years of puffing away so I think I can understand somewhat. I have had really positive response from my own family but negative from my inlaws. They think I am lazy and taking the easy way out but I don't let them get me down. I think once you start getting more and more healthy and your mood improves, your family will see what a good thing this was for you to do for yourself. Just hang in there! As for recipes, I love chicken and tuna anyway so I just eat it mixed with a little light mayo. Try a little curry powder with some chicken...it really perks it up!
Kathy Newton
on 11/13/06 11:18 am - LaVergne, TN
Hi my parents were totally against me having the RNY surgery, but they came down anyways to help me out, and was really surprised after just two weeks how much I had lost in my neck, no more double chinned. Mom braggs to her friends at her church constantly on who much I keep losing, even with having leukemia and being on chemo pills. I think once you have your surgery and start really losing it, they will come around. As for the depression, get your medication taken care of. Going cold turkey will really mess with your emotions and your mind. Also you have to look at the depression as with any surgery. This type of surgery messes with your hormones, one friend on here cries a lot. Get your medication straightened out and I think you will just fine and dandy. I think with the lapband, you can still eat what you ate before just in small quanitites. With the gastric you can't, it's a trial and error on a daily basis. Our taste buds keep changing. I love scrambled eggs and omelets, or tuna salad, the smell of eggs or tuna now makes me throw up. Just take it one day at a time, keep thinking positive and reminding yourself, I DID THIS FOR ME AND NOT MY FAMILY, I WANT TO HAVE A HEALTHIER LIFE INSTEAD OF DYING FROM BEING OVER WEIGHT. May God guide you thur this new journey and be with you always. Love Kathy
Laura Brackbill
on 11/13/06 12:08 pm - Gallatin, TN
(Hugs ) I know what it is like to have your anti deppression meds mesed up I hope you and your Dr can find what works for you. I am on welbutrin and had to switch from the slow release to the regular so it means crushin pills 3X a day They are nasty but I know what happen if I don't stay on meds . As far as eatting the Fish and fowl diet as I call it I get creative a little salsa cooked in with the chicken poultry seanoning and I buy the pre marinated fish I rarely get even a bite of a veggie I just can not eat that after my protien . Just remember You are going to be so much healtier and feel so much better as time goes on Hang in there Laura
(deactivated member)
on 11/13/06 12:29 pm
Hang in there girl. First of all, talk to your pcp and get those meds changed. Second of all, we all go through alot of mental stuff. Dont sweat it right now till your meds are straightened out. You may want to post on the main board about the lap band. I was under the impression that at 2.5 weeks out, that you still havent had your first fill. Call your surgeons office and tell them what is going on and ask for help. They should have a support base for you. I wish you luck.
sachi48sims
on 11/13/06 6:50 pm - Martin, TN
I take mental medication and did a step down off of it, you definately need to talk to your mental health Dr. or PCP soon. Try looking up the reciped for "poppy seed chicken" and switch things out to fat free or lowfat. I love this dish and its almost become my best friend. Good Luck. 4 months post op Monica
Susan J.
on 11/13/06 8:47 pm - Madison, TN
Have you heard back from your PCP about your medication? Stopping antidepressants cold turkey can have a rebound effect. It can actually cause depression to be worse than before medication was started. You need to get in to see your doctor ASAP! Also, the way I understand things, time release medications are absorbed in the small intestine. Since you've had the lap band, you don't have any malabsorption to deal with. Your surgery shouldn't change the way your body handles the medication. I may be totally wrong but that's what I understood to be one of the big differences between RNY & lap band. Double check with your surgeon's office and make sure they know that you have the band and not bypass. Good luck! I know things will get better!! Susan
arianna
on 11/13/06 9:20 pm - TN
Hello, I am also Dr Dyer's patient and had lap band on Oct 19 ..Why arn't you going to the lap band board for support?? ..there are tons of support there for lap band patients.. on most of these other boards it is RNY that is considered the "gold "standard" but lap band is moving up very, very quickly ...I can eat alot of things, just has to be small bites and very moist till our tummy heals a little better I have chicken(not fried) Beef stew , homemade spaghetti sauce made with pork butt and simmered real slow .. I have put fresh chicken breasts in processor and ground it up and made chicken burgers, sprayed pan real well and put tomato sauce and low fat mozzerrella cheese and Italian seasoning on top . also swiss cheese and mushrooms is great on the burgers YUM! you can moisten it with a little bit of chicken broth too, egg salad with low fat mayo and & sugarfree relish (Kroger has it). also chicken salad , can eat alot of low carb veggies too , I try to keep it high protein low carb like Dr Dyer wants us to most of the time ..but I do have creamed corn every now and then lol...yesterday I had a small steak moist and in small pieces and chewed well.. and some green beans mmm good... ( I bought some not- butter spray) I know I am able to eat regular mayo and regular relish and so forth but after all I AM trying to lose weight and just in case, I do not want to upset my band in anywayI was told alot grease will do that .. and still have not even had my first fill yet and so ,have no restriction and trying to keep my 13lb loss post=op. I stay away from bread,rice pasta beans, and sweets, I did try a spoonful of spanish rice and it went down just fine though.. I was crushing my pills the first two or 3 weeks but dont need to anymore unless they are really big. then just cut them in half .usually works, Heck I found out I dont even need to grind up anything really, just cut in small pieces and chew well ,but we are all different and we all heal differently .and I am getting .hungrier by the day.. oh also on lap band board ,many of us post lap band recipes and we all discuss our lap-band problems , differrent then the RNYs patients.. my daughter had RNY and I know most her problems she had surgery 6 years ago. , but the lap band was brand new in the USA at the time .. send me a message and I'll help you all I can... I also have time release issues with my pills that had to be worked out . I am feeling terrific and I think Dr Dyer is a wonderul surgeon, he has been a shining light for me .. and the girls in his office will help you any way they can too can't help you with the mental issues you are having, maybe your regular doctor, can prescribe something else that is not time released and can take it 2 or 3 times thruout the day to help your moods .. ((((HUG))) email or message me anytime Arianna Ps i am going in for visit to see Dr Dyer today hope I get a close date for my first fill today!! that is both a little scary & exciting!!
kathiesue
on 11/13/06 9:29 pm - Hendersonville, TN
Ariana: Thank you so much for the support! You are eating things, that in my book they gave me, I can't have. You mentioned beef stew, it says in my book, no red meat or pork for six months. Maybe because I am diabetic, something is different! Let me know about your first fill. I want to know how it feels. I have lost 17 pounds since Oct. 26th. I am suppose to see him Nov. 27th for mine! Love, Kathie [email protected]
tngal
on 11/14/06 4:58 am
are you eating solids yet?
Most Active
Recent Topics