B 12 injections Anyone???

Linda T.
on 2/13/07 10:20 pm - Mt. Juliet, TN
My GP Doc suggested that I take a B12 injection, because of the lap band, (my quick weight loss and surgery )and the fact that I had been under so much stress for the last 6 months. I am feeling good all in all. I have given myself allergy shots in the past so I decided I would do it myself. I picked up the B and syringes at drug store and wow. 2 full cc's once a month. This is so much more than allergy shots. Anyone else taking B12 injections? Life is a string of problems, held together by moments of pure bliss. Enjoy the moment it may be your BLISS! Linda Tidwell
melsreturn
on 2/14/07 12:33 am - Madison, TN
I take a sublingual B12 tablet once a week. It tastes good too. Like a sweet tart. But no not the shots... yikes... thank Goodness I never became diabetic because I would not want to give myself shots. I would have to get someone else to give them. Sounds like the B12 is a great idea though. Gastric bypass patients have to get them.
Susan J.
on 2/14/07 1:59 am - Madison, TN
My surgeon prescribes an Iron/B12 with Intrinsic Factor once per day. The intrinsic factor enables the body to absorb the B12 orally. My labs have been normal on all counts except vitamin D and we are working on that. I had a problem with low D before surgery so that one is not surgery related. Susan
Kathy Newton
on 2/14/07 7:35 am - LaVergne, TN
Hi Linda, I used to do 2 B-12 shots a week, now I only have to do them once a week, the thigh works better then my skinny arms. I decided all poking would be done on Thursday. I do my B-12 shot on Thursday, my two allergy shots in the flabby part of my tummy, and I get hooked up for my weekly blood draw. By the time I get that all done, especially having to get bloodwork done, sit around until I get the results back, then come back to wear I am staying, I am pretty worn out. They aren't so bad in the upper thigh, but I hated having to try and put them in a muscle in my arm. I am not a contortionist by any means. As for taking the B-12 by pill, that's an everyday thing vs the shot. Plus I already have to take a lot of medications because of my leukemia, so I will pass on taking the pill. They do have the kind that is placed under your tongue, but my Oncologist felt I would benefit more by having the shot instead. Wish you much success, Love Kathy
arianna
on 2/16/07 12:28 am - TN
Linda arn't you a lap band patient?/ do you get bloodwork drawn every 3 months are Dr Houstons's office? and then they call you immediately with the results ...lap band patients have no need for vitiam B 12 shots as long as they are eating normally ...and if for some reason they are deficit in anything at all,your surgeon will prescribe it for you ... folks who have had a lap band do not have any malabsorbtion issuses and they come out of surgery with a ull stomach .. those who have had an RNY come out of surgery with a one half ounce stomach and rerouted intestines so what little they are able to eat ,most of it passes right thru . making it impossible to get enough vitiman B12... I was told this by the NUT at Dr Dyer's and Dr Houston's office just last month about the one half ounce stomach
Linda T.
on 2/16/07 1:28 am - Mt. Juliet, TN
I am 59 soon to be 60. The b 12 is a preventivative as well as a help with the intestines (as I have issues) This is not connected to the Lap band at all only in the the way I am eating now. B 12 comes from protein in animal products. I have been doing alot of soy. Dr Houston has not done blood work on me yet. I am 3 months the 6th. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12.asp Linda Tidwell
Susan J.
on 2/16/07 2:24 am - Madison, TN
Are you sure the nut didn't say a one half cup stomach. One half ounce is only 1 tablespoon and I'm here to tell you, we are left with a larger stomach than that.
arianna
on 2/16/07 8:19 pm - TN
Good morning Susan Yes the Nut at the Tace Buliding in Nashville did say a 1/2 oz (one-half ounce stomach) for all RNY patients coming out of surgery .. I asked her to repeat that and she did then ,I said "how can they get anything to eat with a half ounce stomach there is no way .. this can''t be true" and she assured me it is "... How we got started on this topic.. I was telling the NUT, there is no way they can expect me to follow the meager diet plan they gave me . I am just way too hungry on just 3oz of meat and 2 tbs of veggies only 3 times a day, that I have a full stomach that must slowly .over time , be restricted and she told me that actually the RNY patients have an even more restricted diet with even less amounts and I was stunned .. . I am going to ask Dr . Dyer again about this matter when I go for my fill on Feb 23 and make sure this information is correct about the 1/2 ounce stomach ,t .. It seems impossible to me to be able to survive on almost nothing, so I totally AGREE WITH YOU . but have to get more information on this .. I was just repeating what I was told at my last visit ..
Most Active
Recent Topics