HELLO! I'M NEW AND NERVOUS

andrea E.
on 7/29/08 3:20 am - dallas, TX
well, i'm an just beginning my WLS journey.

i went to see my doctor in feb 2008 but freaked out and didn't do anthing towards WLS until april.  i guess i didn't do anything because i felt like i was giving up and taking the easy way out. now, i'm 4 months into medically supervised weight loss, i am trying to find someone to do my psych eval and have already had a sleep study.

but now that i'm closer to D-Day, i'm just freaking out more!

i'm excited about the changes my body will go through, but i'm also nervous and a little scared about how my life will be affected.

is it wrong for me to be afraid about not  being able to enjoy eating? i guess i feel guilty about  this being my biggest fear. i'm mean afterall, eating is what go me to where i am now, so why should i be so worried about not being able to eat and enjoy food.

i'm also worried about how i will be accepted after the surgery. my hubby has only just come around to the idea. i haven't told anyone else in my family. not even my mom who lives with me.

and, above all else, i'm worried about not being approved.  i have aetna and i've heard that they can be difficult.

so,

i guess that it's, in  a nutshell.

your comments are appreciated.

www.youtube.com/andrea8430
marianacc
on 7/29/08 4:28 am - Mexico
hi andrea. wellcome to the board. you`ll find wonderful people here.

is very normal to be nervious. and don´t feel guilty, this is definidtly no the easy weight out. and don´t worry you will enjoy food again. you`ll see.
take care and keep us posted.

congrats for you upcomming surgery
good luck
mariana.
Lynne R.
on 7/29/08 4:39 am - Houston, TX
Welcome! and RELAX!!!

I actually enjoy eating more now. I take my time and savour my food. I taste every bite instead of swallowing huge amounts.  I find that I enjoy more flavorful food now.

It took me TWO YEARS to get approved, but it was worth it!

Lynne

Phyllis M.
on 7/29/08 4:57 am - Irving, TX

Hi There.
What you are feeling is normal..................
Congratulations on your decision to being a healthier YOU !!!  WTG !! 

I have AETNA..........HMO at that...............I didn't have any problems.
I went through the weight mgmt center at Baylor which is on my plan...............
started off at my PCP's office...........then on to referral after referral..........patience is the key !!
I made the decision in Jan of 07..........seminar in March.........started 90 day nutritional counseling (supv diet I guess you could call it).....in May thru August.  I was hoping for surgery in August...but I had it in October.   My papers were submitted on 8-17-08 and by the end of August - I was approved...............had my consultation with my surgeon in Mid Sept and Surgery scheduled 1 month later !!   NOT BAD - I don't think.   I had had been diagnosed with sleep apnea about 3-4 yrs prior to that..........was a non-smoker already and so alot of the "tests" that they were needing - I had had done within the 1-2 years within the Baylor System - so the surgeon was able to pull up everything on his laptop and PRESTO -  he had everything.             I didn't even have to do in for the Pre-Surgery tests......blood work and etc........................I didn't even realize that until just recently when I was reading someone post about doing the pre-op stuff !!   lol 

It started off once I got the original typical denial...........or the weight mgmt team got the denial - they sent me a copy of that letter...........I trotted to my PCP and said this is what I need and want to do.......................she nodded and said....."we have everything in your file" here........don't gotta go through all of this...............again................It was amazing........I thought I was on a long 1-2 year waiting time here.............but that is what happened to me.          

Now - as far as AETNA being difficult...........it just depends on the plan that your employer has.  NOT all plans cover the WLS.  Some actually purposedely do NOT include in their plan....(can't think of the word I'm looking for there)

Funny you should post this - when I started to go through this process back in 2004, I actually was referred to Dr. Capehart.  She was the closest doctor that was doing the surgery to Irving.  Now the Baylor medical Center in irving has a weight loss management sytem and I'm so glad that I went through this.........because if I had been denied.........they would have pursuited AETNA and gone up to bat for me  - so to speak to see what wording, or other medical records that they needed to get me approved...........BUT I WAS APPROVED ON THE FIRST TIME AROUND.

My family has been very supportive of me of course - they live in OKC and it was MY decision and only I CAN MAKE that decision.   There are others around us that sometimes think that we took the easier way out.......I DON'T THINK SO........IF ONLY THEY KNEW.

I mourn food all the time.  It is hard working in an office when they have a "party " of some sorts almost weekly to get excited about "eating"     I have to turn down alot of it for my own peace of mind.  Better choices, etc...................of course............I have alot of eyes here in the office holding me accountable too...................If they know that I'm trying to lose weight and seeing me eating a choc chip cookie.......doesn't say much for going through this process and eating what I want and/or NOT using the tool that I was blessed with would say much about the  positive outcomes for the RNY surgery technique and I REFUSE FOR IT TO FAIL OR TO FAIL ME !!

Thank goodness for the accountability. 
GOOD LUCK AND (((HUGGSSS)))) 

• Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

S. Cisco
on 7/29/08 5:31 am - Pasadena, TX
*Hugs*   Welcome aboard!!    Breath and relax and trust that you are doing something to make you a healthier person! 
Eating is what we do in America.... its a very social thing.     You can still eat you will just make healthier choices and if you eat out lol you'll now do it alot cheaper!   hehe
Heck even eating in is cheaper ..... junk food is cheap but now I can buy healthy foods ... fresh veggies and better cuts of meat... seafood!!!   lol I buy it all in alot smaller quantities and it comes out cheaper!  

You don't have to tell the world about your surgery... its your decision!    If I'm asked I don't lie but I had one woman at the GYM ask me if I cheated and had WLS or if I lost the weight by working out and eating right.   I laughed because I was at the gym!!!  
Some can't understand the brick wall we run into by dieting and losing only to gain it all back with a bonus.    Surgery has changed my life in all the right ways.
I'm 6months out and I've lost 150lbs since January of this year.   I'm active, social, HAPPY, and healthy!     Fear is normal but life is good when you can actually get out there and live it!  
I'm learning still to be a healthier person and yes I slip up some days but life isn't about perfection.   Life is about learning as we go and slipping up helps us learn that its ok to make mistakes as long as we don't give up and we keep working towards the things we want most in life.

Your gonna get there .. insurance is gonna have their rules you gotta follow but keep at it and you'll be approved before you know it! 
Call Aetna and talk to them ... they will tell you what you'll need to do for approval.    Your Dr. will tell you too... they know
The important thing is that your on your way!!!   
We're here if you need us .... you've found a great group of people for support.     
Welcome to the Family!!!!! 

Stephanie
Actions speak louder than words...
candiegarcia
on 7/29/08 5:47 am - Harlingen, TX
Hi Andrea, Welcome to the Board

Congrads on your decision and research into WLS. 

Hope everything goes well for you.

And I also agree with everyone here, you will continue to enjoy your food but in smaller quantities. 

Taste buds might change and so will your desire to eat a lot and that is what will help with the weight loss but not being able to enjoy your food will not be one. Food will still be delicious
Misty750342002
on 7/29/08 6:52 am - Frisco, TX
Hi,

I am new at this also.  I just signed up today.  I don't even know how to do a new message, but I can do a reply.  I am going to have my surgery Aug 1.  I know how you feel.  I have tried many diets and they did not work.  I am excited about this.  But I am a little nervous as well.

I went to my Dr in late April and I was Approved in June.  I have Blue Cross Federal Retiree Plan.  As soon as I got the approval everything went so quickly.  I have had all the testing done and now this Friday I will have the surgery.  Tomorrow I understand that I am allowed soft foods.  Just to sure what that all is....then on Thursday I do just liquids. 

I am so happy that my friend told me about this place so that we do not have to go thru this alone.

Good Luck with your soon to be surgery and keep in touch. 
Yvonne McCarthy
on 7/29/08 10:50 am - Plano, TX
I wanted to help you with the new message.  Look up near the top and you'll see a button that says "new topic".  Click on that and put in your "topic" and then proceed as usual.  I'm really glad you are here!  I'm going to answer Andrea's post so hopefully I can say some stuff that will help you as well....at least I'm gonna try!
hugs and blessings, Y

Open RNY 3/30/01  260lbs - 130lbs Yvonne McCarthy, CLC. Health & Wellness Coach (full time volunteer). I am happy to help if I can. Visit www.bariatricgirl.com and see the Bariatric Girl blog!  Also check out my Facebook Bariatric Girl Page Photography site www.yvonnemccarthy.com     .„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨

jwinrrtx
on 7/29/08 7:26 am - Round Rock, TX

Hi Andrea,

Everyone is nervous I think.  I was terrified about just getting through surgery-never stopped to worry about afterwards.  It is well worth it.  You eventually will be able to eat anythng just in smaller portions.  The question becomes do you still want to eat those things you did before?  My diet has totally changed and I no longer want those things that made me MO.

Good luck to you.

Jeri

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

Donna Allen
on 7/29/08 7:46 am

Welcome and calm down just put it in the Lords hands!!

Hugs Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 23 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 100 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 410 views