New Here!

SkinnyHusband
on 7/24/11 4:15 am
Hello Utah,

I'm not the SkinnyHusband.  My husband soon will be.
My husband doesn't get on these kinds of things so I'm doing it for him. 
My name is Michelle.

He (we) has attended two different seminars. Both are a Center of Excellence.  We liked the first place best but found out that they do not accept Tricare so we are going with the Bariatric Medicine Institute (BMI). 

My husband had an initial consult this past Wednesday.  That was a long day.  He saw everyone: doctor, nutritionist, exercise lady, psychologist, insurance person, and the nurse who took his blood. 

All he is waiting on is for the Base Clinic (Hill AFB) to send his medical records to BMI and he should get a surgery date.  We told them that this was the last step we needed to complete for him to get a surgery date.  I hope they took the hint!

After reading a lot of posts about having to do the 6 month diet before approval; I'm glad we have Tricare.  Tricare doesn't seem to have a lot of hoops to jump through.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself.   I was just wondering if any fellow Utahans have gotten their WLS from one of the doctors at BMI?

I love reading all the wonderful success stories of everyone. 

Later,
Michelle (the not so skinny wife!)

angishoell
on 7/27/11 3:42 am - UT
Hi Michelle!

Welcome!  I am new here also.  I had the Lap Band done in June.  My surgeon is Dr. Richards at BMI.  I love her!  She did an amazing job.  I'm proud of you (and your husband) for making it through the initial consultation day.  That was a SUPER LONG DAY for me too.  I had a hard time working with the insurance person.  I didn't feel like she cared about me and I had to call her almost everyday to remind her to work on my case.  I had a deadline for when I could have my surgery though.  Other than that BMI is wonderful!  Who is your husband having do his surgery and which surgery is he going with?

I wish you both lots and lots of success and happiness!!!

Angi

SkinnyHusband
on 7/27/11 9:52 am
Angi,

Tricare sent us to Dr Cottam.  BMI said to expect to be there 3 hours...well it was about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.  But we got nearly everything done.  We are waiting for HAFB to send his medical records to them.  If our insurance person doesn't get them by next week, we'll have to make a visit to the base clinic.  And of course, we are waiting for Tricare to give their approval and authorization.

My husband is a nervous wreck since deciding to do the surgery.  But, he says he's going through with it because he has diebetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and joint pain.  His diabetes is managed well but he doesn't want to live with it at all if he doesn't have to.

Thanks for your reply Angi.

Later,

Michelle

angishoell
on 7/27/11 11:28 am - UT
Dr Cottam is a great doctor.  I was going to have him do my surgery because I felt he was very knowledgeable (hope I spelt that right, lol).  But later decided on going with Dr. Richards because it felt right to me.  BMI told me to plan on 3 hours for the inital consult also and I was there about the same amount of time you were.  They should probably start telling people to expect on being there for 4 hours.  Good luck with getting everything figured out and approved.  All of the before surgery stuff stressed me out more than anything else I have ever been through.  I will pray for you and your husband.  Hope we can keep intouch.

Angi 

Most Active