Parathyroid???

Judy B.
on 10/3/06 8:57 pm - Marion, VA
Hi everyone Hope you are all well..Nat, i read where you have your date hon...I hope things go really well for you and your recovery is fast fast fast. Please take care! I have a question for anyone reading this...Has anyone had problems with an elevated parathyroid? I went to see my surgeon the 28th and right after had blood drawn and they called me yesterday to tell me that everything, including my vit d and calcium is just where it should be, but my parathyroid is excessively high. So, I have to go to Roanoke Monday morning at 8 am to see an Endocrinologist. Any ideas about this? Thanks in advance JudyB
Cinderellen
on 10/3/06 9:23 pm - Winterville, NC
Hi Judy. For the most part, I would suggest that you relax and enjoy the rest of the week, and weekend. I would bet that you find out that you are Vitamin D deficient. According to Webmd.com, a high parathyroid result can mean several things, but the one that stood out to me is this one, given that you've had WLS: "A high PTH value is the body's normal response to a low level of calcium in the blood. A low blood calcium level can be caused by conditions such as kidney disease, kidney failure, severe vitamin D deficiency, or an inability of the intestines to absorb calcium from food." I think that it makes sense actually, given that the inability of the intestines to absorb calcium from food is listed as a reason for being D deficient. You can read the whole article if you wish, just go to http://www.webmd.com/hw/hormonal_disorders/hw8101.asp . However, I would suggest that you leave the diagnosing to the doctors. It's easy with sites like this one, to find a worst case scenario, and scare the crap out of yourself. I hope this helps, I hesitate to answer stuff like this, but I just wanted to help. Take Care and keep us updated. ~Ellen
Judy B.
on 10/3/06 9:42 pm - Marion, VA
Hi Ellen Thanks for your response One thing is that when i spoke to my surgeon's office about this, the nurse said that because my calcium and vit D was very good and that my parathyroid was high that that is what concerned them enough to refer me to an endocrinologist..so i am on pins and needles about this. But i will keep you updated judyb
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/06 9:46 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Judy , Sweety thank you so much for thinking of me . You are so kind . I am excited that it is finally going to happen and I can get on with a healthier life . You take care and please keep us posted on your results from the doctor . Hugs, Nat
Kathy & Rich
on 10/4/06 3:36 am - Fairfax, VA
The parathyroid glands regulate calcium. And they tend to do a mighty fine job at it. In fact, if they sense you aren't getting in enough calcium - they will work overtime (causing an elevated PTH) to keep calcium in the normal range and to do so they will steal calcium from your bones. This is why it is critical for us post-ops to not only get calcium level looked at but PTH as well. It is not unusual for a post-op to have normal calcium with an elevated PTH. This is a sign that you aren't getting in enough calcium. How much calcium do you take, how often, dose and what form? I had a tumor on one of my parathryoid glands and how it showed was elevated PTH but ALSO elevated calcium. In other words, the tumor caused the one parathyroid gland to overwork which pulled calcium from my bones and forced my calcium levels above normal levels. Also, regarding vitamin D. Normal vitamin D runs from something in the 20s on up. I know that the nutritionists at our hospital are now recommending that post-ops have a minimum vitamin D level of 40, I believe. So, they are saying being at say 25 which is low normal isn't good enough for us. Hope this helps, Judy! Hugs, Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 865 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2190 views