Proud, proud owner of a ....

Kathy & Rich
on 1/19/06 5:59 am - Fairfax, VA
just lovely yet classic "juicy" parathyroid adenoma (tumor). Just confirmed by ultrasound this afternoon! Yea! Why am I happy that I will now have to have surgery? Because I've known that this was probably there for a couple of years and all the doctor I saw wanted to do was monitor it. Now, I've lost bone density becuase of it. Parathyroid regulates calcium which is enough of an issue for us post-ops. So, now I can get this bugger removed and worry about my bones like a true post-op and not because of any other reasons. And...my nodules on my thyroid were noted and the doc said they look completely benign. The endo is going to do a needle biopsy on the biggest one (.8 cm by .5 cm) on Monday to be sure. Since I will have to have surgery to remove my lovely parathyroid gland and adenoma... they might as well make sure I don't need surgery on my thyroid too. One stop shopping, ya know? I assume I can now get a referral to a surgeon for the parathyroid. Depending on who it is...I'll also be getting my mammogram films to the surgeon for review. With the new family history (sister) of breast cancer - I want to make sure a surgeon views my calcifications just to be safe! So much medical crap, so little time! But soon to be one less worry! Kathy
sylvia
on 1/19/06 6:08 am - Stafford, VA
Good grief, Kathy! I'm glad you finally got to the right doctor. Just goes to show we really do have to be proactive in our own medical treatment as you have been with yours. I'm sure all will turn out just fine now that you found the right professional. P.S I love your dry sense of humor Sylvia
ElizabethC
on 1/19/06 6:21 am - Wirtz, VA
Kathy, I am SO glad they found this now! My mother went through 15 years of intense back pain, difficulty swallowing, sore throats and croaky voice before they finally caught her hyperparathyroidism. This was about 14 years ago, and even then they were able to determine which side of the thyroid "bowtie" the tumor was on. When they went in to do the surgery, the doctor was shocked...the gland that was the causing the problem, instead of being the size of a pea, was the size of a LARGE walnut!! It had been pressing into her trachea and esophagus. She has been on calcium ever since, and has done fantastic Do make sure to keep your breast health in check too. Last year she went through breast cancer, but caught it early and through agressive radiation they got rid of it. She was also the first in our family to have it. I have every confidence that you'll do great!!! Hugs! Elizabeth Happy Momma
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/19/06 8:30 am - Danville, VA
Wow, Kathy....Hopefully this will take care of everything for you. It is good that you will have this taken care of...I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...If there is anything I can do..please let me know. Hugs Betsy
Kennie29
on 1/19/06 9:30 am - Chesapeake, VA
I hope that you feel better. I will keeping you in my thoughts!!! Hugs, Kennie
amyb66
on 1/19/06 11:21 am - Bolling AFB, DC
My goodness gal... My thought and prayers are with you. You have high spirits but I know you must be frustrated!!! It will all get taken care of hopefully soon and then you will be healthy F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!! Amy
Grey_Goose
on 1/19/06 6:56 pm - Haymarket, VA
Kathy, Wow, you are one resilient lady!! It is so great that you finally got the proper attention paid for your needs. Here's hoping that this is the last bump in a rough road. Take good care of youself, Kelly G
tsaxon
on 1/19/06 10:35 pm - Charlottesville, VA
Hey Kathy! I'm glad that we finally know what is going on - and that it can be fixed. I know that has to be a load off of your mind! Get this taken care of and scratch it off of your list! You'll do great as always. Your attitude and determination to be healthy ( and Rich's too) is such an inspiration! Please keep us posted and know that you are in my thoughts! Love you! Tracey
elizabeth b-c
on 1/20/06 9:28 am - Charlottesville, VA
Kathy, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Medical issues can be daunting, but your attitude and determination will carry you far. You're an inspiration, gal. Hope you're feeling better soon, elizabeth
jessicafrombeach
on 1/19/06 11:01 pm - PORTSMOUTH, VA
is that from wls?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 856 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2181 views