cpt code for vertical sleeve gastrectomy

foofla829
on 3/6/08 3:24 am - Gorgeous Northern Ca, CA
Hi there, Would anyone know the CPT code for insurance for this procedure. I am having such a hard time even getting a referral to see the doctor, let alone the surgery.  Has ayone been a patient of Dr. Feng in San Mateo CA?  I would love to get some imput on the LAPSF group in SF as well.  Thanks in advance!
(deactivated member)
on 3/6/08 3:43 am
CPT Code 43843 - Gastric restrictive procedure, without gastric bypass,for morbid obesity; other than vertical-banded gastroplasty 
redroads
on 3/6/08 5:18 am - San Francisco, CA
I just had my surgery last week.  The LapSF group is where I went.  I do know that Dr. Feng used to be part of the group. I am thrilled with my decision to use Dr. Cirangle.  I was a self-pay patient since my insurance co considers VSG & DS to be experimental.  Not to mention they wanted 6 mos of documented weightloss before they would even consider me for either the RNY or Lapband.  So in the end, I was able to get surgery done much sooner by being self pay and it was probably cheaper than my costs would have been even if insurance had covered anything. I absolutely LOVE the staff at the San Francisco office of LapSF.  I knew Dr, Cirangle was a good surgeon, but his staff is who I would be dealing with the most, so they played a huge part in my decision to go with him.  And CPMC staff were great as well.  The after surgery care I got (what I can remember!  LOL) was very good. Hope that helps.
---------------------------------------------
Dreams that do come true can be as unsettling as those that don't.  --  Brett Butler

dogma2karma
on 3/6/08 5:48 am - Suburbia, CA
SFLap has a free seminar nearly every week somewhere in the bay area.  I went to one recently and learned alot, got a feel for the surgeon that presented.  My impression is that the surgeons are not that involved directly/individually except for the cutting part.  However, i think this is true in general of most bariatric groups and appropriate that each of the staff takes care of what they do best.  I am also looking into Dr. Feng, and all the bay area surgeons who do VSG.  We should compare notes.  D2K
foofla829
on 3/6/08 6:21 am - Gorgeous Northern Ca, CA
Well, Been on the phone all day with my insurance company and medical group! Seems like there is a doctor other than LAPSF and Dr. Feng that does accept my insurance and does do VSG! Here name is Pamela Foster.  I just need to get a referral to see her and if all goes well, I suppose my insurance will cover it as they referred me to her. I am planning on going to see Dr. Feng this Saturday in Redwood City. I still would like to meet him as well as the docs at LAPSF. I am not going to settle with just anyone and if I have to self-pay, in the end it is my life and health and would be worth it.  I really feel like giving up with the insurance nonsense at this point but I will try to hold out longer to save myself some money!  I appreciate all the information I read on this message board. It is so nice to share this experience with others who know exactly what you are going through!  Thanks again. 
faufins
on 3/6/08 9:38 am - San Carlos, CA
I'm pre-op and Dr. Cirangle is my surgeon.  You see Dr. C or Dr. J at the group meetings every month and at all of your appts.  They do not just gut you and hand you off to their staff.  You will be in touch with them yearly for the rest of your life.  They want to see how you are doing long term.   Both Dr's truely care and believe this is a life saving surgery and their staff is there to help you stay on tract. I'd repost this asking for info on LapSF or Dr Feng and Foster and see what response you get.
Margo

"To thine own self be true"
dogma2karma
on 3/6/08 11:06 am - Suburbia, CA
I wasn't meaning to imply that they were bad...hope it didnt come across that way  
faufins
on 3/6/08 1:36 pm - San Carlos, CA
I just wanted it out there that they are involved in more than the cutting.  Dr. C stays VERY involved with his patients.  Ask any of them.
Margo

"To thine own self be true"
Most Active