Where did you get small silverware?

Shelly H.
on 4/16/08 11:16 am - Norman, OK
Thanks! I didn't even think of looking at Amazon!
Blessings and Best Wishes! Shelly

I'm a 52.5 yr. old female with chronic illness ... exercising and riding a bike daily! : )

LKH
on 4/16/08 12:16 pm - CO
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/08 12:17 pm - Independence, LA

yep, from my surgeon, also they gave me a plate too. it is just a child set from somewhere like Walmart. I bought my granddaughters a set for Easter this yr. So I know you can get them there, the complete set. You will not be able to eat everything on the little plate, with your VSG.......lol. At least I cann't. After just a few bites, I am done, then I don't want to look at food. I hate to throw away food and if I use the little plate, not so much gets thrown out. You know what I mean.  hugs, cougar to be

Xena_at_Heart
on 4/16/08 1:59 pm - AAAAA, LA
That was the most silly advice I received prior to having surgery.  You have enough sense to take small bites and chew your food very well.  Who in the heck needs a 3-4oz infant bowL  Just serve to yourself an amount that you'd give a 3-4 year old, then go from there. 

Even a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!

Shelly H.
on 4/16/08 2:13 pm - Norman, OK
Well, I think the concept is to still feel that your plate is pretty full .... although it's a much smaller plate. On a regular plate it will look pretty empty. I plan on just using a saucer for the plate. The small silverware will really help remind me to take only small bites. It will help me break the habit of putting a regular fork sized bite in my mouth at once. I can just see myself doing it and not realizing I did it until it was too late. So, for some of us, it is probably a good idea ..... especially at my age. ; )
Blessings and Best Wishes! Shelly

I'm a 52.5 yr. old female with chronic illness ... exercising and riding a bike daily! : )

LKH
on 4/17/08 2:45 am - CO
It may seem silly, but people tend to want to "eyeball" the amount of food they eat, and invariably underestimate what they have spooned out.  What your EYEBALL says is a quarter-cup is still way too much for a bariatric patient.  As for the small spoons, they help people take smaller bites, which can make the small amount of food last longer and seem more satisfying.
faufins
on 4/16/08 2:36 pm - San Carlos, CA
I use seafood or ****tail forks and I got them at Home Goods /TJMaxx. My regular flat ware has demitasse spoons that I use since I am in mushies.
Margo

"To thine own self be true"
blessmysunnysoul
on 4/16/08 2:55 pm - rio dell, CA
I got mine at the chinese dishware store....but honestly i used them only for a few weeks....use a teaspoon luv its fine.

All that spirits desire, spirits attain. 

Bard4fun
on 4/16/08 10:08 pm
I am learning so much, and I have never thought of this. Of course one of our problems is goubling down our food, and so this actually makes sense to me. One other advantage for my family is : My is 80 years young mother has a srunken throat and has to eat very small bites or is suppose to, so the small silverware could help her as well. Kudos Y'all.
Thin Girl
on 4/17/08 2:37 am - on the Gulf Coast
VSG on 02/28/08 with
I'm just a big kid at heart, but I found plastic "disposable" forks and spoons with the baby paraphernalia in WalMart.  It was something like six sets for a couple bucks.  I love having silverware that is orange, green, purple, or yellow.  See?  Big kid at heart. K

Most Active