Should I take bariatric vitamins or regular ones?

pippin
on 7/19/09 11:38 am - Baltimore

I have been taking bariatric vitamins, which have multiple amounts of all the vitamins in them compared to regular vitamins.

I'm wondering if VSGers even need to be taking the bariatric multivitamins with the high levels of vitamins.  I was thinking about malabsorption, and how the RNYers and DSers have to eat a lot of food and take a lot of vitamins because their bodies don't absorb everything.  So aren't these bariatric mutlis made for people who need those high levels of vitamins because their bodies won't absorb the small amounts?

Am I making any sense?  What do you think?

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

VSG on 4/7/2009.  Weight at surgery- 341 lbs.  Weight lost- 150 lbs. Weight regain- 70 lbs.  Current weight 260 lbs.  Seeking a revision to the DS.

dw45
on 7/19/09 11:42 am - Hartford, AR
VSG on 03/23/09 with
I just take the Flintstones chewable multi-vitamin.

DW

10 lb lost pre-op       5'10
Plastic Surgery completed 12/17/09 with Dr. Sauceda (Anchor Cut Tummy Tuck, Medial Thigh Lift & Eyelid Surgery)

queenyoyo
on 7/19/09 11:48 am
 Ditto for Flintstones Complete- chewable, twice a day (AM and PM)
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy46DD6/
:: libguy ::
on 7/19/09 11:50 am
I'm taking regular vitamins. I know the NUT at Dr. Pleatman's office was really pushing the Bariatric Advantage products, but I think that's kind of BS. They probably get something for pushing those products.

From what I've seen, most people around here seem to take store bought vitamins and are just fine.
pippin
on 7/19/09 11:56 am - Baltimore
And the BA ones they gave me were horrible  Blechhh.  I actually never met the nutritionist when I went to Dr. P.  She was on vacation when I went.  The most I got from her was a ten minute phone call.

I bought these Celebrate multi capsules but they make me feel sooo nauseous when I take them, but flintstones give me no problem.  I  think I might just give up on those and stick with my Flintstones.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

VSG on 4/7/2009.  Weight at surgery- 341 lbs.  Weight lost- 150 lbs. Weight regain- 70 lbs.  Current weight 260 lbs.  Seeking a revision to the DS.

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/14 1:45 am

I was taking bariatric vitamins and supplements from Flintstones. They made me feel nauseous, and I was not sure for the cause. Later I found out that it contained fillers like Lactose, Sucrose, Flavonoids, Artificial Flavorings, and Red Dyes which caused my symptoms. After much research and consultation from two nutritionists I switched to vita4life. They basically provide a no-filler and fast absorbing vitamin. Have been taking them for two years and have not caused any of the earlier symptoms. My labs also look great.

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/09 11:52 am
VSG on 04/06/09 with
I use regular over the counter vitmans.
pippin
on 7/19/09 11:57 am - Baltimore
It's good to hear others are just taking regulars because I HATE the bariatric ones I take.  They make me feel so sick.

cutepuppy
on 7/19/09 12:44 pm - Manhattan Beach, CA
I'm taking the Bariatric vitamins, chewable, but I think I'll switch back to Flintstones when I run out.  Those of us with VSG just need to be sure we get in the basics and if Flintstones does that, well, its certainly cost effective.

Walking with you on this journey, Mary
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Bitchy McSnipe
on 7/19/09 12:46 pm
I take one serving of Nature's Best liquid vitamin from the health food store in the morning
and one Viactiv Liquid Multivitamin during the afternoon.

I'll be damned if someone take my chocolate from me ;P

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views