alcohol and VSG

ahunley
on 10/13/09 9:31 am - TN
I'm pre-op, but I've heard that after bariatric surgery a very small amount of liquor makes you very drunk. I understand alcohol is forbidden post-op for a while. But what happens after a few months? Is it diffrerent with RNY or VSG?

suziemart
on 10/13/09 10:00 am
 I can't answer your question because I'm also pre-op VSG...
But would find the answers very interesting!
I always like to have a bit of wine with my family at Christmas...
possible?
Ms Shell
on 10/13/09 10:02 am - Hawthorne, CA
I used to drink ALOT and could out drink or keep up with the best before surgery.  NOW my MAX is usually 2 drinks...

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

sexyjojo56
on 10/13/09 10:09 am
alcohol is very different after WLS. It goes into your blood stream faster and then it has crazy affects quickly. It is full of empty calories and turns into sugar, so it is not recommended with VSG, only after a yr. and then very moderate.

bequia89
on 10/13/09 11:01 am - New York, NY
I love wine and indulge on the weekends.  I have had two different reactions.  First, I was taking two antiacids a day so even getting a buzz was almost impossible.  Now, 4 months out, I take one antiacid a day and do not feel it changes how alcohol effects me at all.  You can enjoy alcohol post surgery but give yourself 6 weeks at least before you drink it.  I don't drink martinis very often as they can kind of burn my stomach. You are not supposed to have cardonated drinks so beer is out.
Rinarut
on 10/13/09 11:16 am

Every doctor is different in every sense.  I  had a mixed drink about two weeks after surgery and my doctor said it was okay to have one.

Makster1220
on 2/18/14 7:17 am

It's very dangerous to drink alcohol 6 weeks out. Risk of ulcers not to mention prolonging the healing. 

Dana

retrophrenologist
on 10/13/09 11:29 am
Glad someone asked this!  I make wine at home from our small vineyard, and besides being a relaxing hobby, i get to enjoy wine for a dollar a bottle that i would have to pay 15 bucks for at the store!  Last year i made a semi-sweet red from our grapes, then ordered must from larger vineyards in the area and in California and made a shiraz, a merlot, a chablis, and a reisling.

LOL as you can see, I make a lot of wine!  But I don't drink a lot...About half stays with us, and half goes out to family and friends, and I've still got wine I made 4 years ago aging in the bottle.

Nice to know that I can have an occasional half-glass with dinner 
flybaby46
on 10/13/09 11:49 am - TX
I haven't had a drink since being sleeved on 7/31/09. Dr. and Nut said nothing for 1 year. I don't really miss it, but we have blackberries and pears on our place, and my husband has been making the BEST wine for the past 6 years. I may try a sip or two at Thanksgiving.
Nancy
BigCityGirl
on 10/13/09 12:45 pm - San Diego, CA
I was in Italy a few weeks ago visiting a vineyard outside of Montalcino which produces Brunello.  The process is a lot more complicated than I ever imagined.  And the fact that they basically remove a good portion of the grapes on the vine and destroy them in order to produce a sweeter grape in the remainder is incredible.    It was the absolute best wine I ever tasted.

Good luck with this year's harvest. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Most Active