alcohol and VSG

BigCityGirl
on 10/13/09 11:59 am - San Diego, CA
I didn't drink any alcohol until I was seven months PostOp.  I drink wine and I haven't noticed a difference in my reaction Post Op versus Pre Op.  I don't drink big quantities of wine - just a glass or two with a meal a few times a week.  If I were to try to drink a whole bottle of wine by myself, I'd probably be sloppy drunk. 

I guess the concern is that the alcohol will be absorbed into the blood stream rather quickly in the absense of a stomach and therefore one would not have a warning that they were getting drunk in time to stop. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
blessmysunnysoul
on 10/13/09 12:04 pm - rio dell, CA
Oh hell i wont lie....I tie one on every once in awhile and yep i get sauced eventually. I cant really say that it affects me any different than before because i have always been either hard to get drunk or easy to get drunk. I was just talking about this with my friend yesterday and we both agree u feel it a lot faster but we have also noticed the affects wear off pretty quick too. I didnt drink til i was well over a year out however......alchohol is very fattening.

All that spirits desire, spirits attain. 

Tammy_S
on 10/13/09 12:07 pm - Akron, OH
I have wine or Smirnoff beers on occasion and had my first drink on vacation 1 month post op.  I really cant tell any difference between pre-op and post-op...but then again I normally only drink 1 or 2.  I had forgotten that Smirnoffs had carbonation till several months later, and really dont think an occasional one is hurting me at all.... since I quit all pop and other carbonated beverages...but that has just been my experience. 

*19.6 of the pounds were lost during the 2 week pre-op diet.

sam1am
on 10/13/09 12:46 pm
I wonder if it's better to eat before you plan on having a drink?  Would it be different on an empty stomach?

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

missmaureen78
on 10/13/09 1:11 pm
That whole getting drunk super fast thing has not been my experience at all. I get a buzz faster these days because I weigh less, and I'm more likely to drink on an empty stomach, but i don't metabolize alcohol any differently.

Other people have had different experience, so I think it's different for each individual.

MM

CajunDiva
on 10/13/09 5:04 pm - Kenner, LA
I have a sister-in-law that had RNY about 4 years ago.  She substituted alcohol for food.  Switched one addiction for another.  I think that is basically what they want you to watch out for.  It does get into your system a lot quicker too!   The best thing would be to ask your doctor.
Spartans53
on 10/13/09 6:09 pm - United Arab Emirates

I was a bad drinkre before the op and the same now. Can't say it has stopped me trying and I didn't have a drink for over 5 months post op. Only drink once a week at most but I normally have too much and then go home to bed. The fact that I don't have sleep apneoa or snore anymore makes sleeping and recovery much better and I don't feel as bad the day after can't anyway as kids are not that forgiving to hangovers.

Back off to England this weekend for a Football game (soccer) with my friends and I'm sure we will over indulge.

Running over 25 should make up for the bad cals and beer is only cold vegatable soup which is recomended.

Mike

mrpepe
on 10/13/09 6:49 pm - NorCal, CA
I have found that I feel it faster and goes away faster. I don't drink much since surgery. I drank a lot more before. I do allow myself an occasional beer even though it is carbonated and as long as I drink it slow I don't have any problems with it.
Carmelita
on 10/13/09 8:23 pm - Four Corners, NM
MacMadame
on 10/13/09 8:27 pm - Northern, CA
Yeah, it happens with VSG too. I have no idea why. Maybe I'll ask my surgeon tomorrow at my check-up.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views