Picture Documenting
SandyB_in_CA · 0 replies · 30 views
Something intresting
TexasPrincess08 · 0 replies · 72 views
Done done done
trinoc · 7 replies · 150 views
Popcorn
Sassy75 · 4 replies · 103 views

Do your taste buds change after surgery?

Laurie D.
on 2/10/10 6:02 pm - pembroke pines, fl
Do you find that certain drinks that you had pre surgery  are too sweet after surgery? I am afraid to stock up on anything that will sit in the cabinet forever. I hear that happens with protein drinks
bedilia
on 2/10/10 6:06 pm - Temecula, CA
Laurie, this is what I have heard from other post op patients.  I've found my taste has changed just while being on my pro-op diet.  Everything seems to taste too sweet.
Christine

laurenmjj18
on 2/10/10 6:14 pm - Canada
I got my sleeve on January 15th and as soon as I got home my taste buds were totally different! I can now only drink chocolate atkins shakes. My advice: don't stock your pantry full before leaving, maybe buy a little bit of your favorites and then if you don't like them when you get back, you may like them later.
SharonfromNZ
on 2/10/10 6:21 pm - New Zealand
My advice is don't stock up on anything.  I went through a phase of not being able to stand the protein drinks.  Now at 9 months i don't like meat and eggs anymore.  It is not that I can't eat them - i just dont like the taste and smell.
good news is that I have lost the taste for diet coke - which is great as i was a serious addict before the surgery.

BrookeK
on 2/10/10 6:27 pm - Arlington, TX
Hi Laurie,

I remember for the first few months everything was so sweet.  My taste did change....at first.

Now two years later I would say my taste is pretty much the same as before surgery.  I still like the things I did before surgery and I still don't like the things I didn't before surgery!

I agree with the other posters here.  Don't stock up.  Chances are right after surgery, your taste buds will go a little crazy on you!!

Good luck,
Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

JenCat84
on 2/10/10 6:22 pm
VSG on 10/19/09 with
I don't think my tastes have changed, but my preferences have. Ditto the others - don't stock up.

I started at 324lbs and a size 26.  After losing 100 lbs, I became pregnant with my first daughter, who was born in March 2011.  My second daughter was born in September 2013.  I have maintained a healthy lifestyle and now hover around 160lbs.  I would like to get back to the 140lbs before I became pregnant with my second daughter.  The sleeve literally gave me LIFE - two beautiful, healthy little girls.  My husband had his VSG with Dr. Marema on 10/1/2012 and is on his weight loss journey, currently down 90lbs. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 6:47 pm - Philly, PA and New Windsor, NY
My taste buds really haven't changed much after surgery. I am, however, more adventurous with foods post op!
Stacy160
on 2/10/10 6:58 pm
VSG on 01/25/10 with
I didn't think mine had changed at all (but I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out)... I still like the things I liked before,  nothing [allowable] tastes different, but I just had an Isoflex chocolate shake and put s.f. caramel syrup in it to make it a turtle shake, and yikes.... tooooo sweet!  This is the first time since surgery I've had the "yuck" feeling.

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
spreadthepeeps
on 2/10/10 9:00 pm
 I feel like my tastes have changed and it also seems like I am more sensitive to smells as well.  I wouldn't buy a whole lot till after surgery... the three tubs of protein powder shakes in my pantry are definitely a regret!

wendyvanosdell
on 2/10/10 9:45 pm
I have 23 pounds of protein powder in the pantry that I cannot touch, ugh! Fortunately I have teenage boys that think it  is cool to drink that mess. Gag, I loved them before surgery :)
Tried to eat a 3musketeer funsize bar- gag it was  so sweet.
I can smell SMELL everything, gross!
  Wendy  Vanosdell              
   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/10 2:00 am
Yes! My taste buds have changed and for awhile I thought it was my imagination! They haven't changed enough for me to deal with the taste of most proteing shakes, however, I willingly eat tofu, vanilla protein powder in my smoothies and crave veggies. I still think every now and then that I want ice cream but truthfully, it is easily resisted. Must be the lack of Ghrellin finally kicking in!
Eme 2009
on 2/11/10 9:16 am - FL
My sense of smell has also increased---at least tenfold!  It's nuts.  The good, the bad and the ugly...I can smell it from a mile away!

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

queen08
on 2/11/10 3:50 am
Mine definetly changed right after surgery and they keep changing at 5 weeks out. I used to love peanut butter and now I can't even stand the thought of it. That's just one example. I would ditto everyone else. Don't stock up until you know for sure what will tast good long term.

LSUtigerGirl
on 2/11/10 6:08 am
Nope, no change for me.

However I'm still unable to eat certain foods without pain. Sugar and milk do a number on my tummy. Many people said they can still eat the same things post op (just less of it), but not true for me.
George B.
on 2/11/10 6:53 am - Miami, FL
My taste in food has changed completely since surgery.

Many things are too sweet and foods I once loved and craved hold no interest for me. You're smart not to stock up on too many protein drinks. I went through the phase where I was buying different brands and throwing out a lot of product I didn't like. I finally found 1 protein drink I like and stuck with it. Even the protein drink I like I find too sweet but diluting it with water remedies the problem.

Good luck,
George

Shontel
on 2/11/10 8:57 am - Iowa, LA
VSG on 11/27/09 with
 I'm 11 weeks post surgery, and for me, things that are too sweet and too greasy make me ill.  I tried a frozen daquiri yesterday, it tasted to me, like cough syrup...gag!!  I never have been big on sweets, but now its even worse.  gag! Protein shakes are totally out, no way.  
Eme 2009
on 2/11/10 9:14 am - FL
Anything that was mildly sweet before (like Crystal Light) is now OVERLY sweet and not even tolerable.  I just want plain water or tea. 

Even sugar-free jello can taste a little too sweet for me but I'm thinking that will even back out over time.

Stock up on the more bland kind of things that you KNOW you will need like soups (broth or anything you can puree).  Remember that strained chicken noodle soup will be much more flavorful than just a can of chicken broth.  (I had never even thought of that until I had it at the recovery house).

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

pajames
on 2/11/10 9:43 am - Keller, TX
VSG on 10/08/09 with

My tastes have also changed, most things do not taste good. I have a bad taste in my mouth, even water tastes bad and I used to love and crave it. Stuff does taste sweet and I do smell everything very well.

Pat

HW 254   SW 245  CW 161.5  GW 140      

AsuraDunnigan
on 2/11/10 12:39 pm - Detroit, MI

WELL I AM 3 1/2 MONTHS OUT.  NOTHING MAKE ME SICK.  I REALLY CRAVED SWEETS BEFORE SURGERY, BUT NOW I DON'T.  MY TASTE MUST HAVE CHANGED BECAUSE I CAN'T STAND PLAIN WATER NOW AND I DRANK A LOT BEFORE, BUT OTHER THAT THAT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT THE SAME OR I HAVEN'T REALLY NOTICED.

MY SENSE OF SMELL HAS ALWAYS BEEN PRETTY STRONG.  I HAVEN'T NOTICED ANY CHANGE.

Ticker represents first goal.          
Heather D.
on 2/12/10 4:39 am - Austin, TX
In the first month or so I was post-op I found my taste buds had gone all crazy. Some stuff tasted fine, but other stuff was just nasty. I took one bite of a slice of provolone cheese and had to spit it out. Now I can eat it fine. Things seem to be going back to normal now.