Complications from my sisters surgery - Dr Almanza Reyes: Tijuana Mexico

Prissy4115
on 6/1/10 1:55 pm
Well, my sister had her surgery 3 weeks ago today.  She is currently in the US in ICU and has been for 16 days now.  She is in really bad shape after she was left with a leak in her stomach which formed a hole into her stomach and everything was leaking into her that she was taking via her mouth.  After having her surgery on a Tuesday, then having to sit on a non air conditioned van so others could shop and then saying she was okay to fly home on Friday (4 days after her surgery). While in San Diego on Thursday she was very ill, my mom called the coordinator and was told "oh its normal, just gas pains"..How many of you have heard that?  Well, she flew back home and felt so bad.  Then Sunday morning at 4am where her drain was she started spitting out fluids like a water fountain from her incision, it was watery, then bloody looking.  She soaked her night gown and 2 towels and was in sever pain.  My brother in law called an ambulance for her and she was rushed to the ER.  Her heart rate was low, blood pressure low & had a fever.  After several test they finally realized what was wrong (hole in her stomach) and rushed her to emergency surgery to repair this.  She also had a severe case of pneumonia in her lungs, was severly dehydrated, and her kidneys had temporarily shut down.  Now here we are 16 days later, she has had 4 surgerys to "wash" out the infection and she is still running fever, still on a ventilator to breath and they can not sew her up b/c of future surgeries to clean the infection. She is being fed through a tube directly in her veins. She is so swollen and has so much fluid on her that she has gained 70+ lbs.  She has to constantly lay on a cooling blanket to keep her temp from raising to dangerous levels.  They have her in a medical induced coma and we have not been able to talk to her since the day in the ER.  She will be in ICU for at least another month and the hospital and additonal 2-3 months.  The doctor said it will be a year before she is completley better.  This is a very scary experience for us and our family.  My mother had the same surgery last year in July but this was when they was not doing the whole "rack em and stack em", "get you in and get you out".  Thank God, her surgery so far has had no complications.  When you are pushing 6 + surgeries a day and your "housekeeper" is removing the drain tubes something is not right.  I hope you all know that I am telling you the honest to God truth about our story. My sister is laying in ICU with a huge opening in her stomach right now b/c the doctors are trying to fix what went so wrong.  We have pictures if anyone needs to see the pictures of her.  Please pray for her, we have our family and church praying for her recovery each and every day.  I pray that nobody else ever has to go through what she is going through.  She chose to do this in Mexico becuase yes it was cheaper BUT in the long run she is spending so MUCH more money now to take care of this.  Supposedly the coordinator was fired because she was not telling the doctor about everything going on with my sister.  I really think the coordinator got a conscience and realized their is some issues going on that she did not want to be a part of.  Please keep Beverly in your prayers. Thank you!  from her lil sister & best friend
Rinarut
on 6/1/10 2:25 pm
Wow!! I am so very sorry for your family.  I was asking about this very same doctor on this forum not too long ago for my friend and I did not get good feedback.  I believe Peanutmom (sorry I can't really remember) gave us some very interesting information on this doctor.  She too had her surgery with this doc and recommended him until she found some bad things about this doc. I don't even think that he is actually a doctor but don't quote me on that.  Beverly will be in my prayers until she gets well. Please keep us posted on her status!!!

frisco
on 6/1/10 2:35 pm
Wow...... I'm not that religious of a guy... But, this calls for a prayer.

Hoping and praying for the best.....

frisco
Donna09
on 6/1/10 2:56 pm - CA
That is just an awful story!  I am so sorry for your sister and your family!  I hope that her condition starts looking up soon and that she improves with each passing day! 
sleeve genie
on 6/1/10 3:17 pm - Alhambra, CA
i am so sorry for your sister and your family,   this is so awful,  omg,  i hope this is the same lady whose son posted on here earlier and not another person going through the same thing,  this is something that shouldn't be i am so sorry for you and you are all in my prayers, 
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Prissy4115
on 6/2/10 11:48 am
Jeani:  No this is not the same lady whose son posted on an earlier post  - Unfortunately this is another story that sames oh so the same......

thanks for the prayers!  God Bless You!
KarenMcD
on 6/1/10 3:24 pm, edited 6/1/10 3:25 pm - San Francisco, CA
I'm so very sorry for your sister,  and you and your family. I hope and pray that she has a full recovery. As someone else mentioned, please keep us posted on her condition.
Take Care!!
thenecklacelady
on 6/1/10 3:26 pm
 Thinking about your sister and sending good vibes her way!  I hope everything eventually works. out for her.  This is a wakeup call that this all is to be taken seriously... it is, after all, surgery.  This is also the reason that I went with my gut feeling and, because I'm a complicated revision, have decided to let Dr. Aceves handle it.  

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/10 11:45 am - AZ
On June 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM Pacific Time, Joyce P. wrote:
 Thinking about your sister and sending good vibes her way!  I hope everything eventually works. out for her.  This is a wakeup call that this all is to be taken seriously... it is, after all, surgery.  This is also the reason that I went with my gut feeling and, because I'm a complicated revision, have decided to let Dr. Aceves handle it.  

When are you going to have your revision done?

dkp04
on 6/1/10 3:44 pm
VSG on 10/09/09 with
I am so very sorry!!! I can't even imagine what you are all going through......

The thing that kills me is, many people have posted in regards to this doctor many times before and people got mad about  the truth being told, and now look. So very sad.

I am sure she will come out of this in time but the road is obviously going to a long one. Please hang in there and know you are in my thoughts.

Best wishes....

Most Active