How soon could you Exercise?????

greenemachine
on 8/16/10 12:09 pm - GA
Hi guys,
I'm having surgery in a week (can't believe it and nervous as all get-out), and I was wondering how long before you can exercise.  I know you're up and walking immediately, but I was curious about more intense exercising.  I have to replace the food with something, right???
Thanks!
CKnorte
on 8/16/10 12:31 pm - Avila Beach, CA
 Follow your surgeon's rules.

I was told to start with cardio as soon as I felt up to it.  Between energy levels and just recovering, at about 5 days I went to the gym, did 3-5 minutes on treadmill, bike, and elliptical.  I gradually added every day.  By day 10 I was doing about 30 minutes on treadmill or ellipitcal, by day 15 I went back to spin class, and on day 20 I started the C25K program.

I also week 4 started doing some body resistance, no weights. Squats, lunges, push-ups....

Listen to your body and your surgeon....

Good luck!
Carol
Visit my blog: Fat Woman on a Mission

nicolite
on 8/16/10 12:36 pm - Aurora, CO
VSG on 07/17/10 with
Good question!  I recently hit a month out and have been wondering how it would feel for me to return to the gym.  I've been taking long walks, but they haven't been fast paced or strenuous, even though some have been well over an hour.

I will have to look through my paperwork to see what my doc said about it...

Pre-op diet/SW/CW/GW :: 306/297/209/185
Just had my 3rd child a month ago - wanting to get back on the weightloss wagon!

bsophie
on 8/16/10 12:47 pm - San Francisco, CA
Here' s the schedule I was given  and what I could actually do. Bottom line - do what you feel you can do, up the ante anytime you can.

weeks 0-2: walking only - this was all I could do (I could jog 4 miles the day before surgery)
weeks 2+: released for jogging - couldn't do it. I wasn't jogging until 4 weeks, this included anything "bouncy" or impact. even eliptical was a little bouncy
week 3+: biking - this was fine. i did it a ton. non-impact fab
week 6+: swimming - you need to wait for your incisions to heal
2 months +: ab work and weights - wasn't allowed to do anything straining while I healed.

I completed a sprint triathlon (1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run) at 7 weeks post up.

I was pretty fit going into the surgery but this should give you an idea.

Hope it helps.

j
Check out my journey on You Tube! www.youtube.com/gettingtothefinish

need2bthin
on 8/16/10 11:52 pm
VSG on 06/30/10 with
My doctor did not release me (with the exception of cardio****il week 6.  So I started P90X and light weights this week.  I am glad I waited.  It is also important to get good eating and drinking habits before you start.
Just My thoughts... 
happyjumpy
on 8/17/10 11:41 am - santa barbara, CA
ask your MD for his specific instructions.
i was told cardio as soon as i could...no heavy lifting for 6 weeks (no weight lifting) and ok to swim after 1 month (incision healing).
VSG 5/17/10 HW 298 GW 145 CW 143
Kathie 

‎"Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin  
Margo N.
on 8/17/10 11:49 am
I was released for walking only immediately - more strenuous was at about a month or 6 weeks I think.

In reality, I didn't get serious about exercise until I was 4 months out - it helped me alot to have lost a lot of the weight, making exercise way more comfortable, pain-free, and do-able in general. Now I work out usually 5 days a week and am feeling great!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

MacMadame
on 8/17/10 3:49 pm - Northern, CA
I went back to the gym at 2 weeks and was cleared to do whatever I wanted at 3 weeks. But I didn't want to do anything that stressed my core until about 6 weeks out (1-2 months). It just didn't feel right.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active