how much weight can you lose with the verticle sleeve gastrectomy ?

rogerferguson
on 9/15/10 4:01 am - Graham, TX
Sorry DeeDee, I was looking at your picture  but looking down below at  Jobsies weight loss thing where it shows she lost 195 lbs .   I was thinking you lost 195 lbs....sorry,, this is all new to me...  But I did mean what I said: Your profile picture is beautiful with the grad hat on !!   Im not being a perve either..  honest !!  lol                     Again,,,,,Thanks and good luck on the Vsg !! 
I hope you remember me and let me know how if you get it approved !!  Will remember you in prayer.
Jobsies
on 9/13/10 9:00 pm - Pitman, NJ
I believe we can lose as much as we want. While I have been playing with the sam 5-10 pounds for several months now, i have lost 8 inches in this summer. Not only this past Saturdsy I completed a 10 mile beach walk with my exercise group. Whole it took me 5.5 hours including resting, I did it and I can't wait for my half marathon walk next month.

Congrats on what you have accomplished so far and good luck with the rest of your journey!

14 pounds lost before surgery. My first ticker is when I hit onderland: this was my goal when I started on this journey.  I want to focus on that right now...once I get there I can reevaluate.

My second ticker is my dream goal. Even if I only visit there for a short time, it would be nice to see that number just once.  I am pretty sure I'll need plastics to hit this goal.

kellypolllitt
on 2/16/11 8:35 am
Jobsie - Hello, I am new here and looking to have surgery in June.  I am considering the VSG at the suggestion of my doc Dr. Balsalma.  I am from Mullica Hill!  Do you go to the support group at the hospital?  I think I am going to the next one.

What did you think of Dr. Neff and the whole experience at Stratford?

Thanks,
kelly
char_in_md1
on 9/13/10 9:47 pm
I have lost 127 pounds....and I was considered a "lighweight" for this surgery, even though I was very heavy to my way of thinking...
zzroged
on 9/13/10 10:17 pm - United Arab Emirates
Hi - I'm 90lbs down in 6 months.  Please feel free to read my blog if you want to know more.

Regards
Debbie

New Group : UAE_Dubai_Forum for people living in the UAE/Middle East

TT  & Breast Lift Apr 2011 - Inner Thigh Lift & Arm Lift - Jun 2011
      First - 10k Jan 2011 : First - 1/2 Marathon Feb 2011

moparmemaw
on 9/13/10 10:29 pm - IA
As the others said, you can lose all of your excess weight if you follow program.  Having lost SO much on your own (WAY TO GO!), you obviously are someone who can stick with the program.  I am not quite 7 months out and have lost 99 lbs.  Men generally lose more quickly, so you should see even better results. 

You won't be unhappy with your sleeve! 

I had minimal pain after surgery.  Was discharged the day after surgery and never took a pain med once released.  And while in the hospital, I would push the morphine button every hour or so because I was afraid I would have pain.  I wonder if I really needed it at all.  I was completely amazed at how well I did.  I expected a lot of pain. Had none.  There was some discomfort in the incision sites (with the tape kind of pulling around the sites), but nothing that I needed drugs for.  I also had minimal shoulder pain from the gas, but like someone else said, walking helps relieve that. 

I have begun to believe I must have a very high pain tolerance.  I had never had a surgery before VSG (and I'm 59), so I didn't know what to expect.  I worried more about the after-pain than the surgery itself. 

Good luck to  you!  Even if you experience some pain, you would have that pain with RNY too (which is a much more complicated surgery than VSG).  It will be worth it!
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

rogerferguson
on 9/14/10 11:17 am - Graham, TX
Dear Moparmemaw,   Thank you so much for the encouraging words !!!!   Hope I do as well as you have !!!  Conrats to you on your progress !!!   Your words inspire me and I really needed it at this time !!!    God Bless You !!!
Songcatcher
on 5/3/11 7:52 am, edited 5/3/11 7:53 am
@moparmamaw: I was laughing hysterically at the slinky comment.  I had to write that one down.  Thanks for sharing and extra thanks for putting a big smile on my face.  Song

VeraG
on 9/13/10 10:32 pm - Bonner Springs, KS
There are people who hopefully will respond that are down 200+ lbs.  Do your research, but personally I think this is the best surgery out there.  Welcome to the board!  I work a desk job, had surgery Tuesday and went back the following Monday.  As with every surgery, you have to recover, but it was managable.

Living until I die!

CJCC55
on 9/13/10 10:33 pm - Cleveland, TN

Also am considered a "lightweight" for this surgery. I have lost 65 lb, and am 5 lb from goal. I revised my goal once already, as I was clearly going to lose more, now wil probably need to revise my goal again, as I continue to lose even though I am no longer trying to.  I just try to remember that even though I cannot eat much, I really need to eat the healthiest choices possible. 
I do love this sleeve!!

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Most Active