Protein Shakes and Acid Reflux question

WV_Loser
on 10/8/10 1:53 am

Does anyone else get acid reflux when they drink Protein shakes or eat Protien bars?

I am 2 weeks pre-op and I want to start drinking Protein shakes as my primary meal, but i get such acid relux and indigestion....any advice?

Thanks!

Hugs & Prayers!

Angela

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. Benjamin Mays

mrsnicolebrown
on 10/8/10 2:22 am - dumfries, VA
Im two months out and have acid reflux everyday. Its terrible so I take zantac 150 once minimum a day and sometimes twice. I hope yours doesn't become like mine but yes this all started with the protein shakes. I wish you the best in finding a resolution!
WV_Loser
on 10/8/10 2:37 am
Thanks Nicole...

I have a Haital Hernia and GERD Pe-op....And I have been getting ready for the Surgery and the Acid Reflux is not fun...I take Zantac...so i gues I will stick with it!

Thanks!

Hugs & Prayers!
Angela

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. Benjamin Mays

charlie1951
on 10/8/10 2:36 am
As I was nearing my 2 week post op...my acid reflux became unbearable. At that point I was pretty much on shakes jello, broth and popsicles.

As soon as I would get into any semi or reclined posture I was experiencing some esophageal burn and the back of my throat was constantly on alert for more to come. My taste buds were a mess odors were intensified. I couldn't be near almost anyone's breath without curling up my nose, jello tasted like rubber and the smell of previously enjoyed protein shakes made me dry heave.

At night I was awakened by needing to "hurl" a little stomach acid which in turn would make me become nauseated. My PPI was of no help. Increasing it just made it a little less intense. At my 3 week f/u visit they put me on a time released PPI which of course I took as they recommended at the end of the day. Problem is I think I took it too late in the evening and in the middle of the night I would experience explosive (I am assuming) releasing of the time release which felt like a hot missile orbiting through my esophagus and out of my mouth leaving me with the most rotten taste that could not be fixed with water or brushing my teeth.
Needless to say....I was not loving my sleeve.....

I am now taking this PPI time released capsule at 10 a.m. after a light breakfast at 8 a.m. (1/4 of yogurt) and when I am about to drink my first protein shake. It seems to have calmed my stomach down enough so that I can get at least one high protein(35g) shake in each day and can sleep most nights. though I still experience some occasional mild reflux when in bed.

I think the protein is hard on the new belly. I also think those who do better with getting at least their 64 oz of fluids daily may not experience it as badly. But that is just a guess and not fact.

Good luck,
Charlie

WV_Loser
on 10/8/10 2:41 am

Thanks Charlie!

I will check with my Doc to see about a time release PPI (used to be on Aciphex) but Insurance quit covering it!

Maybe they have something the Insurance will cover.

Hugs & Prayers!
Angela

Neeven Soodyall
on 1/11/11 9:22 am - Surrey, Canada
Charlie, you couldn't describe my symptoms more accurately than if you were actually me. Almost three weeks post-op, I'm desperate for a solution to this infernal acid reflux. I thought for a while that ordinary Tums would be the elixir that also met one dose of calcium supplement but that was short-lived. I've been chewing them like candy and the acid just thumbs its nose at it.
Lionetta
on 10/8/10 4:08 am - AZ
Are you taking something every day to reduce the acid your stomach puts out? It's a little angry after surgery, so my doctor prescribes something starting the 3rd week. I used Gaviscon and Maalox the first two weeks, which helped, but were gag awful!

I'm on Aciphex daily now and it's doing a great job. Priolosec and Nexium didn't work for me. I hope I won't need anything when my stomach is fully healed, but I plan on taking this for at least 6 months before I try going without. 

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

WV_Loser
on 10/8/10 5:00 am
Leanne,

I haven't had my surgery yet...and most days I take Zantac....I am drinking the protein shakes to grow accustomed to the taste and texture for after surgery.....and they burn my tummy and I get reflux.......I have learned to stop eating  anything before 7pm most days because of this problem.....

Thanks for your input!

Hugs & Prayers!

Angela

Lionetta
on 10/8/10 1:08 pm - AZ
Oops, read that post-op. Sorry! Well, phooey. And hugs back. I hope you get this sorted out before you have surgery so you don't have to deal with it later.

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

Most Active