Just Found Out My Surgeon Used A 50 Bougie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 11:56 am - Toronto, Canada
My first post-op consult was today - yep almost 5 weeks out.  I haven't had access to my surgeon or anyone else at my hospital that could answer my questions...for 5 effing weeks. (sorry for my language)

So...I've been waiting 5 weeks to find out what my bougie size is.  I was so shocked that I just said...A 50??? What???  Why???  He said that there is little difference in weight loss between 32-50 and he thinks people have an easier time with the larger bougies. 
A bit of background info...I switched to a VSG 2 weeks before my surgery...through email.  Yep, through email.  I had NO phone access to my surgeon and hadn't even met him - I had to do internet research to find his email address.  My surgical consult was with another member of the surgical team.  Anyhow, in the email my surgeon said I could have the VSG if I wanted and we'd talk about it before surgery.  Before surgery meant, literally 10 mins before surgery, he asked me a few questions and said, no problem, you can have VSG.  Obviously I was already anxious about surgery and I didn't think to ask about bougie size.  WHAT A MISTAKE.

Well...this explains a few things.  First, this is perhaps why I had such a completely uneventful surgery - no gas even! Second, why I've been getting in all my water and protein by the beginning of week 2.  Third, why I can eat WAY more at a time than most of the other VSG'ers on this board.  I'm quite devestated.  Please, if you're an RN or if you're knowledgeable about bougie size, write and tell me what a 50 means.  I could only find information online for bougies up to 40!!!Seriously, I'm freaking out!
msb1197
on 11/5/10 12:01 pm - Ponchatoula, LA
 What's a bougie??

I'm a shorty... 5'3            
MikeyMike
on 11/5/10 12:22 pm - New York, NY
It's an instrument they use during the surgery that guides the tools when they are cutting and stapling your new tummy. The size of the instrument helps determine the size of the stomach although there are other factors such as the length of your stomach as well as how snug the surgeon sews or over sews on the staple line.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

msb1197
on 11/5/10 12:29 pm - Ponchatoula, LA
 Wow i didn't know any of that...my dr never mentioned it.  Thank you for the info, Mike

I'm a shorty... 5'3            
MikeyMike
on 11/5/10 12:25 pm, edited 11/5/10 12:25 pm - New York, NY
MikeyMike
on 11/5/10 12:09 pm, edited 11/5/10 12:21 pm - New York, NY
Calm down...Don't freak out. I didn't have any gas pains after surgery. I was able to get in all my water and protein and I had a size 38 bougie.

Comparing your first month stat to mine it looks the same. I lost 20 pounds in my first month. Looking at your signature. It looks like you're doing awesome.

You're not going to feel the restriction until you start solids. I added a pic that gives a reference for bougie sizes. It's not that big of a difference. Many of us follow a routine of not eating until we are full. If you follow that methodology you'll do fine.

Good Luck.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

kakora
on 11/5/10 12:18 pm - FL
 Mike--great visual.
Karen
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 12:21 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks Mike...that does make me feel a little bit better.  How the heck does a cup of food fit into a sharpie????  I've actually been on solid food for a week.  I was cleared today to eat anything I want, as long as it feels ok and to do any kind of exercise I want.

I'm freaking out...still...because I had an eating disorder (bulemia) for over 25 years.  I've been eating disorder free for about 4 years due to major self work and therapy.  One of 2 reasons I had the VSG was because I had screwed up my body so bad that I NEVER felt full.  You would gasp at the amount of food I could eat and not feel full.  I'm so worried now that my bougie is too big.  Seriously, I can't find anything online about a 50 bougie.  I'm not worried about right now...a cup of food fills me up.  I'm worried about a year or two out...what happens then?
MikeyMike
on 11/5/10 12:34 pm - New York, NY
The first year is the most important. Concentrate on eating properly and exercising. Build on those good habits now. It will help train you to enter the maintenance phase. Hopefully you will continue to build on what you are doing now to maintain for the rest of your life.  The VSG operates on your body. But we also need to work on our mind. That's what I'm working on now. It's easy to start to fall back into old habits. We all have those demons to fight.

Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 12:44 pm - Toronto, Canada
I will for sure...thank you very much for your help.  It's really appreciated. :-)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views