I use supplemental oxygen at home and was told years ago NOT to use Chapstick, Vaseline, or any petroleum based product when I'm using my supplemental oxygen. So when I was told to bring a non-petroleum based lip balm with me to the hospital, I brought my peppermint flavored Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. No worries.
Anyhow, when people ask why they're not supposed to use a petroleum based product with oxygen ... here's a good explanation I found long ago that makes sense and is easy to understand.
According to studies at the Maryland Respiratory Care Clinic and the Cleveland Medical Health Lab, both medical testing facilities, Vaseline or any petroleum based balm on the lips or nares in an oxygen soaked environment such as a hospital room or surgery suite can cause a flash fire when the vaseline evaporates. the evaporated vaseline or petroleum based balm causes a gas, when combined with oxygen, and a static electric discharge (for example, from a ringing telephone, a short circuit from a wire, a cell phone ringing, nylon socks rubbing back and forth across the sheets, etc.) can cause a flash fire. Hospitals are not willing to take the chance of them happening. There are numerous cases of surgical fires, but fewer reported cases of room fires, possibly due to fact that they are underreported.
HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less.