Deep breaths, this is exciting! Here are some things I asked my surgeon:
1) what do I need to do for pre-op (tests and such)
2) Do you have a program to help with pre/post surgery follow up (support classes, nutritionist etc)
3) Does your office handle the insurance piece or do I need to do all the follow up for pre-op? (making sure docs send in all pre op info)
4) How small/big do you cut the stomach for your VSG patients? (Can range from 30 french to 40 french bougie, pronounced "boo-she" or he may use an endescope as a guide)
5) What are the statistics of his WLS practice of complications after surgery?
6) What is his expectaion of your weight loss after surgery? Some surgeons are really aggressive about their patients losing x lbs by x date. Mine is cool about it, he just wants me losing.
7) Does the hospital, and his practice, have the Bariatric Center of Excellence certification?
These are just some questions you might ask. Good luck! Your doc should make you feel relaxed, not upset. If you don't have a good gut feeling with him, don't choose him because you will be spending a lot of time with him in the future.