Skin elasticity

Kelanore
on 5/7/11 12:35 am - MN
As I near 6 month post-op I'm feeling pretty good. I'm happy with my weight-loss. However, despite the exercise that I've done, I'm feeling a bit saggy in certain areas. I was wondering if anyone has any techniques to improve skin elasticity. Have you actually seen success with your method.

some of the things that I've heard of or I'm trying are:
Fish Oil/Omega 3's
Lotion (I just use regular lotion, any other suggestions)
Hydration
Dry Skin brushing to stimulate the cells
Regular exfoliation
Exercise

Does anyone have any success stories/suggestions?
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 1:19 am
Nothing topical really improves skin elasticity, not even those "firming creams". Yes, it can help make the skin look a little less crepey if you use lotion- but it's temporary (just moisture.) Time will likely help a little, some minimal shrinkage may happen after you stop losing. Exercise does nothing for the skin other than give in muscles to hang over- if you build muscles up.. other than that- just time and surgery to remove the damage. Sorry! This is a topic that comes up often, and a topic I have had a lot of years experiencing myself from the first time I lost 130+ and kept it off for 5 years. The damaged skin doesn't improve all that much, and nothing helps with it. Start saving for plastics if you are open to them.
SassyItalian
on 5/7/11 2:17 am, edited 5/7/11 2:18 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Ok so...
skin loses elasticity with age and sun exposure, and if it was stretched for a long time or over and over (yo yo diets)

stretched skin, made up of dense irregular connective tissue cannot be replaced with normal skin...the damaged skin will renew itself with the same type of skin..

so, no there isnt anything you can technically do to repair the damage that is done..

that being said there are several things you can do to improve the appearance of saggy skin:

-hydration is key and will help with appearance
-lotions to hydrate the skin will help with appearance but no cream or lotion can penetrate the many skin layers to fix the underlying problem
-creams that hydrate or have caffeine can temporarily help the appearance
-fish oil is always a good thing and it is good for your whole body, including your skin
-you can try and fill in the loose skin with muscles, which may improve appearance
-exfoliation can help with skin appearance but only sloughs off the very top layers and the problem is much deeper in the skin layers
-many people report 2 or 3 years after reaching goal from weightloss surgery their skin "adjusts" and does seem to tighten and change a bit in a postive way- but it does take a while

its a little grim and ****ty for us, we always have to be reminded we were overweight when we look at our skin in the mirror..but most of us have loose skin and strech marks so you arent alone..plastics are always an option, i am going to start saving now in case i need it in the future..

ugh

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Kelanore
on 5/8/11 10:09 am - MN
Great info. Thanks!!
Carmelita
on 5/7/11 2:37 am, edited 5/8/11 10:38 am - Four Corners, NM
MediumSoon
on 5/8/11 5:18 am - TX
 Ok - I'm probably an idiot - what is MONS???

Carmelita
on 5/8/11 5:22 am - Four Corners, NM
MediumSoon
on 5/8/11 6:08 am - TX
 Well alrighty then!!

Kelanore
on 5/8/11 10:20 am - MN
Thanks for the info. I'm working out and doing some strength training. I'm still just 6 months out. At the age of 37 I'm hoping I can improve my current situation.

I hear a lot that there is nothing that we can do. I'm not sure that I believe that. The skin is the largest organ in the body. Before I consider any plastics I want to see if I can do anything to tighten up this loose skin w/o surgery. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the tips!!
sianabob
on 5/7/11 3:13 am
My tummy is RIDICULOUS!! Tummy tuck is the only way out for me :)

Most Active