At a complete stall.. HELP!

PrincessPretty
on 5/31/11 5:36 am - TX
I had my surgery 4/4/11, had appt w/ nurse to surgeon, I was advised I should be losing 5lbs a week, does this sound normal I am now at 295, HW 344, 336 on surgery date, So do tell is anyone else stalling, I'm only losing average 2lbs a week! I think I might have to hire a personal trainer or something !!! Totally Stalled out!

Kelleybell122
on 5/31/11 5:51 am, edited 5/31/11 5:52 am - Powell, OH
Lots of people hit a week long stall at about three or four weeks out. I've hit several. As a matter of fact I'm in a stall right now. I've been losing and gaining the same 2 lbs for six days.

It will pass. It's just how the body works. Like my doc says: This process is not measured like stair steps. The body fluctuates in an uneven pattern."

PrincessPretty
on 5/31/11 5:53 am - TX
Thanks for the Info! I jusr hopped back on OH, I think I should check it out everyday I might get some important answers!
cattywompos
on 5/31/11 6:13 am
5lbs a week sounds nice, but in reality, your body is gonna lose what it wants when it wants.  We all lose at our own pace.  Stick to your program and you will lose, maybe not 5lbs every week, but you will lose.  Myself I have averaged about 10lbs a month since the beginning.  I wish my body would have dropped more, but it is what it is and I am happy regardless.  Stalls are very common. All a part of the process.  Often when you aren't dropping weight you are dropping inches. 
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

katier825
on 5/31/11 6:18 am
One thing you will learn and never like is that you will stall periodically throughout the journey...it's inevitable!  However, there are many other ways of measuring success when the scale doesn't move.  Take your measurements, you're likely losing inches.  You're overall health will improve, you'll have more energy, gain more self-confidence.  I still get frustrated with the scale, and I'm less than 1 lb from my goal.  I keep telling myself that it's just a number.  I've got so many other improvements, it's hard to complain (but I still do).  I would never have gotten where I am without the surgery.  Stalls and all, I would highly recommend it to anyone who struggled all their life with weight like I did.

Hang in there.  It will happen. :)
foodlover
on 5/31/11 7:10 am
I would LOVE to lose 2 pounds per week!  My idea of a stall is not losing at all.  My Dr and NUT said anything from 1-4 pounds per week is normal.
Susan M.
on 5/31/11 7:21 am
 Princess,
    You've lost 40 pounds since surgery and that is great! I've been losing about 2 pounds a week for the last four weeks, then this week (even after a little weekend cheating--only 5 potato chips!), I lost 4 pounds. It is so true that our bodies really do know what is best for them.  When we're losing weight this rapidly, our bodies just need some time once in a while to catch up -- hence a stall. I was reading an article about weight loss stalls, and the author suggested switching up our exercise routine one day a week to kind of fool our bodies into thinking it need to keep working hard. If you walk every day, try riding a bike (or stationary bike) or swim one day. And lifting weights 3 times a week is also supposed to help our bodies kick back into weight loss mode. 
   Even with this stall, you're doing a great job. Once your body catches up with those 40 lost pounds, you'll see the scales going down again. And it doesn't have to be 5 pounds a week. Two to three pounds a week equals 8-10 pounds a month, and you won't see those kind of results with any other programs after four months.  Keep up your good work!

Most Active