Steri-Strips removal??

rdd9348
on 6/11/11 5:55 am - OR
When do these damned steri-strips come off of the incisions? I was supposed to have a two-week post-op appointment with my surgeon a couple of days ago, and I assumed that she would take them off then to look at how the incisions were healing, but I had to reschedule the appointment for two weeks later so that it's now slightly more than one-month post-op.  I remember one of the nurses telling me that they would start to fall off by themselves at ten days to two weeks, but mine are still solidly stuck on.  They aren't particularly bothering me, they don't itch or hurt, but I would like to see what's under there.   I could use a little input from anyone who could tell me how this worked for you.  Two weeks?  More?  Less?   Did they fall off by themselves or did you or your surgeon take them off? 
Thanks
Dick
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
Emily51501
on 6/11/11 5:58 am - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Hi, I haven't had surgery yet but for other tape on the body I've used baby oil. Maybe that will help you.

PaulaS
on 6/11/11 6:01 am - TX
 I have always been told to leave them alone ~ they will fall off by themselves.   Some of mine  fell off quickly, others not so quickly, but I cannot remember the time frame.  

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
redsnapper1975
on 6/11/11 6:03 am
I was told I could gently peel them off in the shower at 10 days, which I gladly did.  Call your surgeon's office ask if you can take them off.
~ Kim

BrittanyLinn
on 6/11/11 6:05 am
hello :)  im 5 days post op, and one of mine is a sticking up a little in the middle. But all my other ones look like there going to be on there for a while. I was told that they will fall off by themselves too and not to remove them, and I dont think your surgeon will remove them either. They should fall off soon. Are you washing your stomach with soap in the shower? That will probably make them fall off sooner.

wert
on 6/11/11 6:22 am - MN
I was told to leave them alone. Even at my 2 week appointment they said to leave them on until they come off on their own. Mine itched so bad I couldn't wait for them to fall off. I did kind of pick and scratch at them to hurry the process. I had redness and rash from them for quite a while. Glad they're long gone. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

NuevaMujer714
on 6/11/11 6:34 am - Irvine, CA
 DO NOT TAKE THEM OFF!!!!

Im 6 weeks out and at 5 weeks 1 tape like the size of a pin finally came off Beleive me u dont want them to be open especially if the Incesion is not close like mine 2 were still a lil open when the tape came off

You will be fine  do they bother u cause ur having like a reaction to the tape like redness around the incisions? This is normal its like a allregic reaction to the tape my dr said just to was around the incisions and use Hyrocortisone around it and it helped allot !!!
XOXO Thanks for the Support            
Heidi V.
on 6/11/11 6:39 am, edited 6/11/11 6:40 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
I had my stitches removed after 10 days and everything was fine. It only takes about 10 days for the incisions to seal properly. Now at almost 6 weeks, I put vitamin e oil all the time.

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

wls2011
on 6/11/11 8:22 am - Ballston Lake, NY
My paperwork said to let them fall off, but if they were still on at the 2-3 week post op appointment, that the surgeon would take them off.

So most of mine fell off by 2 weeks out....there were a couple hanging on slightly, that I gently pulled off in the third week...my incisions closed up nicely and 3 of them just look like red bug bites now....I've used emu oil on them since getting home from the hospital..

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

thethinme
on 6/11/11 9:10 am - NY
I went to my PCP around (can't really recall) 2-3 weeks after surgery and she was like: why do you still have them on? lol. they were starting to come off on the corners and I didn't have the guts to take them off, also because I had no clear instructions from my surgeon abroad about this.

my PCP took them all off mercilessly :P I think I still recall having a little liquid come out of them after, and I got new ones to put by myself. but I didn't have to use it for more than 3 additional days.

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views