Challenges and advise after surgery

Elizabeth A.
on 6/14/11 11:03 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I am having surgery the 23rd of this month and I would like to hear about the journeys of different people for about 1 year after surgery. Challenges and all. Thank you all. Any advise for recovery and adaptation after surgery?
Aguilanegra    
VeraG
on 6/14/11 11:11 pm - Bonner Springs, KS
I would say my only real struggle on this journy has been to learn to eat slower.  I've always been a fast eater and in the beginning, that will make you  every time.  Not as bad now a little over a year out, but I still have to watch myself.  My advise is take monthly photos AND measurements.  Sometimes when you can't see the difference or are in a stall, looking at measurements gets you through it.

Living until I die!

Elizabeth A.
on 6/15/11 1:05 am - Brooklyn, NY
 Thank you for your advice. I am a fast eater as well and this is something I tried to practice before I began my pre-operatory liquid diet but I agree that the impulse is to eat fast. What are the major changes in your social life that you had to make after the surgery? (eating out, etc.)
Sunshine00015
on 6/14/11 11:34 pm
Very good advice! :)

lucy2e
on 6/14/11 11:55 pm - Laurel, MD

Hi - I'm pretty much newly sleeved (2 weeks).  In the begining the challenges are choking down protein shakes that you really don't like and getting all the protein and liquids in.  I find drinking pretty easy - but not really hungry - so remembering to eat is a problem, but I think once I get more on a schedule and off liquids only, things will fall into place much nicer!

Good luck on your journey!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Elizabeth A.
on 6/15/11 1:00 am - Brooklyn, NY
 Thank you for your response. I hope you recover without problems and things get easier for you soon.  Please keep me posted about your recovery. I mean mobility, levels of energy, when were you back to work or household work, etc. 
Thank you
Aguilanegra
George B.
on 6/15/11 1:07 am - Miami, FL
Best advice is to follow the program your doctor gives you post-op and to track what you eat on a program like myfitnesspal.com.

My program call for the following;
1. Eat 600-800 calories when losing weight 1,200 when maintaining.
2. 70-100 grams of protein daily
3. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily.
4. Less than 40 grams of carbs daily.
5. Regular exercise/physical activity.
6. Start meals with protein first. Protein fills you up and keeps you full longer.

I followed this plan and met my weighloss goal in a year and have been maintaining without a lot of effort for almost a year now.

Carbs are a problem post-op. At first you cannot eat them and then they become slider foods of which you can eat a lot without feeling a lot of restriction. It's bets to always limit carbs. At this point I can eat anything I like but continue to limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day.

Dense protein like tender beef, fish and chicken are also important in meeting your weight loss goals.

My weight loss slowed down at 6 months post-op and I noticed I had less restriction. I reviewed what I was eating (I track my food on myfitnesspal.com) and realized the bulk of my protein was coming from soft sources like protein shakes, cheese, Greek yogurt, beans, pumpkin seeds.

I changed to dense protein, mainly tender beef and seafood, and saw my weight loss resume and felt a lot of restriction. Dense protein fills you up with a small amount and keeps you full longer. I can eat 8 oz. of Lentil soup with no problem but 4 oz. of steak fills me right up.

Limiting my carbs to less than 40 grams per day was also instrumental for my continued weight loss. When my carbs got too high my weight loss slowed.

Dense protein, limiting carbs and regular physical activity were responsible for me reaching my weight loss goal and maintaining.

Best of luck,
George

BriarRose
on 6/15/11 3:00 am
I am about 5 months out. Big changes for me have been getting used to what a portion is now. I eat very small portions -- and forget how little to put on my plate.

As far as social situations....I don't think I have had any changes, other than fitting into booths with ease, and becoming expert at pushing food around on my plate....
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views