Family Meals

megamommy
on 7/2/11 12:06 am
I a dead set to have this surgery on Sept 14th. My main concern is family meals. I have two small kids under 4 and I still have to cook for them(and my husband)  Anyone have any ideas on cooking after the VSG for family? I want them to eat normally and grow up with good habits. thats part of the reason Im doing this.

Caligirlgina
on 7/2/11 1:42 am - CA
I have three small kids, ages 7, 5 and 17 months. That has probably been the hardest thing for me to do. I had more sugery on June 17th and I only had help for 4 days after I got home from the hospital.  My middle child is an extremely picky eater so he is the hardest  to please. I made spaghetti for them...it was spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs and spaghetti sauce. They loved it, even the baby. I am able to eat mushy foods now so just put the food in the blender!
I made baked chicken with brocolli. I am just trying to be creative as possible as each day passes. I am trying to eliminate alot of carbs from all of our diets because diabetes  runs in my hubbies family and I don't want him to get it.
I just go online and did a search for low carb meals and try and implement them for my entire family.
Best of luck to a healthy lifestyle!
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

LeahBea
on 7/2/11 2:38 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Ok, this may not be so great for the little ones, but I just got Eating Well After Weight Loss Sugery by Patt Levine and have already made some pretty awesome receipes that the rest of my family have really enjoyed too. Like I said, the little ones may need something different.... but it was just a thought. Hope you come up with a good solution.

Leah

BriarRose
on 7/2/11 2:55 am
First off, I would cook and freeze meals for family ahead of time, so that the first week or so, you don't have to worry about feeding them. Make things like seasoned taco meat and freeze it so dh can defrost and serve it in soft taco shells; make cassaroles if you do that sort of thing. Go online and look up healthy things that you can freeze and de-frost easily.

Then start now and look up ways to make your normal stuff healthier. AS for longer term, once you are about 3 months out, you can basically eat just about anything you want to feed your family, with a few simple changes. I make pasta for the family, with chicken sausage, a simple olive oil and herb toss (fresh chopped basil, garlic) and add lots of chopped vegies. I eat the chicken, and vegies, and maybe three pieces of the pasta. Everyone is happy. I've learned to make couscous, quinoa as high protein lower carb alternatives to rice, and everyone loves it.

Plant a late summer vegetable garden ! I always have one. Right now, I'm picking japanese eggplant, tomatoes and squash. You can have lots of fun teaching your little ones about fresh vegies and yummy fruits. find out what grows well in your area. Even if you just have a small patio, you can grow stuff in big pots !

Get creative !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
megamommy
on 7/2/11 12:58 pm
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! These suggestions are great!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views