Hair loss question, please help

_aprilh_
on 7/3/11 12:27 am - OK
Hey, I know there is not much one can do about hair loss... it will and does happen to most of us. My question is...... does it help to cut your hair when it starts falling out?  I have long hair and it is pretty thin normally but now that it is falling out, I wonder does it help to cut your hair? Will less fall out if it is shorter or will it fall out either way. I think if I cut my hair, the thinness of my hair would be accentuated, with it longer it looks slightly thicker. What is the experience of those who have lived this? Help!!!!!
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

Dawnie 88
on 7/3/11 12:32 am
My hair started falling out around 3 mths postop..and stopped about 7 mths postop.  I had longer hair (little more than shoulder length)..and I decided to cut it short.  With longer hair I was always running my fingers through my hair..and each time I would get lots of hair coming out on my fingers.  Also..having to bru**** to get through the tangles each day..seemed like it was pulling more hair out.  So i figured having a short style would allow me to just wash and wear..no so much brushing..and it kept my fingers out of it..lol  Seemed to help..for me at least.  I'm not sure about having thin hair to begin with..and a short style..maybe someone will chime in.  I had thicker hair.

SkinnyKrissy
on 7/3/11 1:19 am - NJ
Just a quick question, for those with hair loss, are you taking your vitamins religiously and meeting protein requirements every day? This is very upsetting to me that someone said "almost everyone" will lose hair. I was under the impression that if I took the vites and protein it wouldnt happen ;-(
_aprilh_
on 7/3/11 1:23 am - OK
I do take my vitamins religiously... if I miss anything it would be an occasional calcium.  I also generally get about 80grams of protein a day between jerky and protein bars I make sure I do.
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

PBJ
on 7/3/11 1:27 am
Nope it happens to most of us!  I have been religious in my vitamins and protein from day one...and even took biotin from day 1 to try to avoid this...and at 4 mo post op..it happened!  So I think if you just expect it..it will be easier to handle.  I have to say that it really bothered me.  I have hair issues anyway..so this just made them much worse.  But I still would have surgery again in a second..so worth it.
I did have my hair cut shorter...my hair girl said we needed to even things out to make it look more normal.  It is shorter than I like but it works for now.  At 1 year out..mine is still growing back in....it has been a slow process for me.  I did start taking the GNC hair vitamins and I think that does help. 

Yeh..hair loss sucks but the sleeve rocks so much more!!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Pixie-Power
on 7/3/11 1:32 am - Los Angeles, CA
There are a percentage of patients who do not suffer any noticiable hair loss following the surgery.  However, the number who do outweighs the number who don't.  Hair loss is mainly attributable to the anethesia and poor nutrient intake while on the pre- and post-surgery liquid diets.  Getting in your protein, vitamins, and fluids is very important, but it won't stop the hair loss if it happens to you.  However, getting in all those nutrients will help in the hair re-growth.

I starting noticably losing hair at 2 1/2 months post op, and it finally stopped about a month ago.  I have been consistently getting in 80-100g protein daily, and at least 64 oz liquids since surgery, but that didn't prevent the hair loss.  I also started taking Biotin at 1 month post-op.  Again, it did nothing for the hair loss, but I now have noticable and significant re-growth.  You just have to be patient and know that it is temporary.    

age: 53   5'1" tall   HW=231  SW=216  CW=139.8  GW=130         

MediumSoon
on 7/3/11 2:37 am - TX
 I average 80g protein/day and take my vitamins - labs are all good.  And I have and still am losing tons of hair.  Don't worry though - you are NOT going to go bald!!  Trust me - I'd rather be thin with thin hair than fat with thick hair.

Pixie-Power
on 7/3/11 1:37 am - Los Angeles, CA
I have long, thin hair, and started losing significant amounts of hair at 2 1/2 months post-op.  I did not cut my hair, but I can tell you there were times I really thought I'd go bald, particularly looking at the little rug of hair in the shower drain every morning. 

But, truth is, even though I noticed a huge increase in hair loss, no one else did.  It didn't come out in clumps, just sortta all over.  The loss stopped about a month ago, and I now see a lot of new hair growing in.  I have cut my hair in layers, to account for all the new growth and give my hair a little more fullness, but I didn't want to cut it short because I've never had a short cut I liked. 

age: 53   5'1" tall   HW=231  SW=216  CW=139.8  GW=130         

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/3/11 1:41 am
I think hair loss is normal with any major surgery, mostly due to the anesthesia.  Google 'hair loss and surgery' and there's a wealth of information.  It doesn't happen to all, but it does to most.  Not much can be done to prevent it.  

Oh well.  I look forward to being lighter and healthier!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

GOING2LOSEIT2011
on 7/3/11 2:23 am
I have always had thick hair and it went on a growth spurt several months ago, it is the longest it has been since I was a kid , and wouldn't you know it soon after I started the pr e surgery diet it started coming out . I always shed in the summer yet I have been REALLY loosing .Heaven only knows what will happen now that I have had surgery
My hair has always been a comfort to my little guy, he keeps asking "your not going to loose all your hair mom are you ?...I suppose time will tell . Thinking I might need to cut it 
Would love to know if there is anything else that can be done  as well .
I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.Phil 4:13
  Hw 386  Sw 322 Cw 226.6
DR.Christine Chu   Fremont , Ca                 
  VSG  6/28

Most Active