sleeve surgery sick after surgery

dmich
on 7/6/11 10:48 am

did you guys get really sick to your stomache with dry heaves after surgery? someone told me this happend to them  and Im wondering how commen it is. It was just for ta few days after surgery but was brutal and hurt alot.

lucy2e
on 7/6/11 10:53 am - Laurel, MD
I did not have that problem.  They gave me anti nausea meds right away in my iv,  never had any problem.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Could_It_Be
on 7/6/11 10:58 am
I had the scope patch and two antinausea IV meds and still was very ill the first 30 hours. They think it was the pain pump. I was not allowed home until I was over it though.
Jessica Houston
on 7/6/11 1:18 pm - Wichita, KS
On July 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM Pacific Time, Could_It_Be wrote:
I had the scope patch and two antinausea IV meds and still was very ill the first 30 hours. They think it was the pain pump. I was not allowed home until I was over it though.
I was kinda the same way... Nauseated while the pain pump was running Morphine, which also happened to make me itch severely, so it was changed to Dilaudid after the first 4 or 5 hours.  Once it was changed I did not have any more nausea or severe itching!  I had the scopolomine patch and about 4 other anti-nausea meds on board before surgery so if you are prone to nausea, ASK!!!!  

After being dismissed from the hospital, the only time I have felt nausated or thrown up was when I took my multivitamin on an empty stomach!!! Only stayed down about 30 seconds!!! And boy was that PAINFUL!!!
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

its4maya
on 7/6/11 10:59 am - Cypress, CA
 Oh those dry heaves!!!  The day of my surgery, as I was moved into my room and onto that new bed, I had the worst of them.  Then I found that even though they were giving me the anti-nausea meds in my IV, every time I hit the button for a shot of pain meds, I'd get the dry heaves again!  Small price to pay for the pain meds....it only lasted about 12 hours in the hospital and I was fine when I went home the next day.  No stomach ache, except the tenderness with my incisions and a little gas pain.
Hope everything settles down for you!

Happy Girl
on 7/6/11 11:17 am - CA
My anesthesiologist said before surgery that he makes sure to give what he needs to during surgery so that I would be comfortable after surgery and I was. I also went home with a prescription for metoclopromide which I have used a few times. Takes time to get the hang of what the sleeve can handle.
That sounds awful!

5'6"
  Dr.  Gregg Jossart  

diane S.
on 7/6/11 12:15 pm
no, but i told the anesthesiologist i was an easy puker and everything makes me nausteated and to give me everything he had to prevent that. Guess he did because i had about 5 minutes of feeling queasy but a shot of something fixed that.

All you pre-ops, don't be afraid to tell the anesthesiologist if you tend toward nausea. there is lots they can do about it but not if they don't know your issue. I also told them to please be gentle in tubing my throat. Just lets them know you are aware you can get a sore throat if they are beat it up with their tubes and maybe makes them a bit more careful. I also told mine the best place to put the IV in since i have had some before that didn't work. I guess I sound bossy but the doc can't know these things if you don't speak up. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

wade7919
on 7/6/11 12:21 pm - LA
yeah i extreame nausea the first 18 hours after surgery, the nausea got better after dry heaving but was still bad, the meds didn't help much, had to stay 2 days in because the first day i couldn't get much fluids in on my own, but was able to walk around which helped some till i layed back down.. just depends on the person i guess..
HW - 365  :   SW - 345  :  CW - 309  :  GW - 180

Rouxful
on 7/6/11 12:44 pm
 I had extreme nausea immediately after coming out of anaesthesia, and had a few brief moments for the first two days. But I never once dry heaved or retched. I demanded plenty of anti-nausea meds though, and they did give them to me.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

Birdie55
on 7/6/11 12:48 pm
I had no nausea after surgery.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Most Active