I need help taming the after dinner munchie monster

LittleMissSunshine
on 9/7/11 4:21 pm
It's been a while since I stopped by, things have been insane at work ;p.

I'm hoping someone had some advice for me on this... here goes:

I do fine all day, but once dinner's over and has had time to settle, it seems that auto-pilot switch is on and the constant kitchen grazing starts.  I need to get a handle on it, but I don't know how (if I did, I wouldn't have needed the surgery in the first place).  I know it's head hunger and I need to fight through it, but it really does feel like an uncontrollable obsessive-compulsive thing... there's a voice screaming in my head to stop, but I just keep on doing it anyway.

Has anyone else battled this?  What did you do to put the brakes on it?  Any advice is much appreciated!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Songcatcher
on 9/7/11 6:36 pm
I battle the same thing and worry that I won't get a handle on it before surgery.  I know it's purely an emotional thing with me not actual hunger.  There must be some reason why I want to hold on to this weight and sabotage my efforts to lose it.  I think I have less control over food since I started this whole process than I did before I started.  I don't know what to tell you except you are not alone.  Jackie
wert
on 9/7/11 7:04 pm - MN
It could be night eating syndrome. I have trouble with it, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_eating_syndrome  

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

RhondaRoo
on 9/7/11 7:35 pm - OH
ah, yes, lol, when they figure out how to do lobotomies to fix the head thing, I'll be in the front of the line.

Until then, you do need some alternative coping strategies (some days work better than others.) You may need to establish some new routines. Can you go for a stroll around the block after dinner? I keep busy, for example, I clean the kitchen and shine the sink (that way I don't want to dirty it up with more dishes.) Start bedtime routine, bath (calms stress); get into comfy clothes, brush teeth (don't want to redirty them). Make it a point to start 1/2 hour or so after dinner to drink one or two more cups of water. Vow that once dinner is done, no more kitchen time, etc. Gotta figure out what can distract you.
RhondaRoo 256/235.5/131.8/120.0
Never, Never, Never Give Up  --Winston Churchill

Susan0714
on 9/7/11 9:12 pm - Kenner, LA
I have the same problem at times.  When I get it, I just either get a SF popsicle, or drink some water, or a protein drink..

I have even just grabbed a greek yogurt too, something for me that is thick, that will "hopefully" fill my tummy.

Believe me about a week and a half ago I was fighting those after dinner demons, a lot of it for me, was stress from school and work.

Good Luck, I hope this helps some.  I have not put the total brakes on it, but it has helped.  I like those Ostrim meat sticks, you can get them from GNC, that might be good to try too.  Low in calories, and sodium.  I try not to eat anything past 8:30 at night.

Last night I did have a late dinner, because I had a lot going on yesterday that kept me out late.

Good Luck I hope it all works out for you.

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

ms_dar
on 9/7/11 9:14 pm - Canada
For sure it is a daily(or nightly) struggle for me too.  I try different things like making a pot of tea so that I can keep on sipping and not munching.  I often go to bed early to avoid temptations.  I have been told that when I get that head munchie attack, I should do something different like go for a walk or jump on exercise equipment..great suggestions but I have not put those into action yet. Good luck with this age old battle.  When all else fails, I try to remind myself that munching is why I needed surgery in the first place and I MUST not get back into those old nasty habits.

jengo1971
on 9/7/11 10:15 pm
Very common problem.  The two things that help me:  1) CHEW GUM!  it really helps 2)  DRINK HOT LIQUIDS  i prefer coffee some drink tea

Here's a recipe for something "sweet" that really hits the spot (plus it has a good amt of protein too).
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1tbsp peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 packet splenda         Mix and enjoy!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
sleevegirl
on 9/7/11 10:21 pm - Austin, TX
I try to munch only on kale chips made in the dehydrator, nice crunch and usually shuts up the night time feast beast. Or I'll go to the gym. Or have some water with a Propel pack in it... it's a struggle here too. Just keep trying!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

smbergie200
on 9/7/11 10:58 pm - Naples, FL
 I drink a big glass of water or a protein shake. Solves the problem for me. 

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

20maddie
on 9/7/11 11:31 pm - TX

I can't sleep if my stomach is growling. So usually I will have some yogurt or a protein shake or a cheese stick to help with the hunger.

HW 239  SW 234  GW 135  HT 5'4

Edit   Delete  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views