Lapband removed and get VSG at same time - ANYONE?

Sherri ..
on 9/12/11 3:07 am - Northwest, MO
I had my lapband surgery April 2006. About 2 years ago I started throwing up whenever I ate solid food. I had to have my fill completely taken out in order to heal, My doc then put back a very small fill and I started doing the same thing again. He said my body had begun to not tolerate the LB and took the fill out again.
I now live on soups, puddings, ice cream......lots of fattening things. I have gained by 1/2 of my weight. I still continue to throw up weekly, if not daily.
I am thinking about having my LB removed and getting the VSG done at the same time. Has anyone on this board done this?
My insurance does not pay for WLS, so I will be self-pay once again.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Blessing,
Sherri
tripmom02
on 9/12/11 3:14 am - NJ
 My doc will not do them at the same time, the rate of complications is higher when they are done at the same time so I had to wait two months in between removal and my VSG. I know some doctors do them at the same time, but I think more and more are trending towards removal, recovery and then revision. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

pineview01
on 7/22/12 2:27 pm - Davison, MI
My doc won't do them at the same time either so, now the insurance has started a once in a life time WLS.  They where going to cover the one surgry out and in but will not cover two sperate.  Can't say as I blame them as I just found out the paid out over $40,000 on the band. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 3:31 am - Huntington, WV
Wow, I could have wrote the first part of your post. I had my lapband removed and revised to gastric sleeve last Wednesday, September 7, all at the same time, it added about 35 minutes to the procedure, I came home on Friday and am doing pretty well. I also have been self-pay both times, I don't know what to advise you about results with the sleeve, since I am just a newbie, but I am thrilled to have the lapband gone, I vomited all the time, and still yet gained half the weight I lost back, very frustrating. Best of luck with your decision, I know that my surgeon does both at the same time as a general rule, but I guess some people may have things that may prevent that. God Bless!
Sherri ..
on 9/12/11 3:40 am - Northwest, MO
Karen - what was the cost for your last surgery? I hope I am not being to nosey.
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 4:04 am - Huntington, WV
Not at all; for everything and 2 years of follow-up care, of course that is with no complications my total self-pay was   $18,435.00; that included my pre-op labs, ekg, chest x-ray, pre-op and nutrition class, surgeon, anesthesia and 2 night hospital stay.  Of course, every area of the country is going to vary; I had my lapband 11-10-08 and it was  $16,000.00 for everything. Good luck to you!
Sherri ..
on 9/12/11 4:24 am - Northwest, MO
Thank you, Karen!!
clommie
on 8/12/13 11:23 pm - TX

I recently had the removal of the lap band and receiving the vertical sleeve at the same time and wanted to know what was your recovery time of the surgery? I continue to have constipation and pain in my stomach.  jbd

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 3:36 am - CA
Yup, I had my lapband removed and VSG done in one surgery. I did have to have a scope just to make sure it was possible beforehand, no problems or complications with the surgery except I lose fairly slowly. I'm okay with it since the scale is moving the right way. :)
Sherri ..
on 9/12/11 3:42 am - Northwest, MO
Angela - why do you think causes the weight loss to be slower?
Most Active