Has anyone had "open" VSG surgery?

michgirl318
on 9/13/11 3:36 am
I have had two hernia operations and can only have open surgery.  Has anyone else had this issue or anyone they know had this issue.  I have a "patch" from the previous surgeries so laproscopic is not a choice.  I am a little nervous because it will be my third surgery in the same area.

Just looking for a little information if anyone else has experienced this same situation.

Thank you
percheron
on 9/13/11 3:43 am
I was told prior to surgery that I may have to have open once the surgery started.  They wouldn't know until they could start the process.

I had ovarian cyst erupt and cause internal damage when I was 16, so about a 10 inch vertical line of scar tissue, I then had a hernia repair over my belly button about 5 x 6 area with mesh and I had part of my left kidney removed last year so my scar line is about 8 inches long and goes horizontal.

Even with all of that, they were still able to do it laproscopic.  I was surprised when I woke up and didn't have to have the procedure done open.

Are they not giving you the option of laproscopic at all?  

Well, how ever you have it done, best wishes and prayers for fast healing.

michgirl318
on 9/13/11 5:29 am
Thank you for rsponding, I haven't heard of too many people that have a patch and have had the VSG.  I have a patch higher up on my esophagus.  They aren't really giving me an option.  The surgeon thinks it would be better to have it open.  I am a little apprehensive because I remember how difficult the other two surgeries were - cut from my breast bone to my belly button twice.   But either way, I still want to go forward.

I am still waiting for my surgery date - BCBS apparently has two differing sets of criteria, we are waiting to see which one they go with.

Thanks again.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views