Invalid MMPI?

weighless
on 10/14/11 9:25 am - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
Any psychiatric professionals out there?  I had an MMPI and the psychologist said the test was "invalid."  What does that mean?
Janie
  54 yr. female 5'7" / HW 283 / Consult W 253 / SW 240.5 / CW 167  
Month 1:  Lost 20 pounds
Month 2:  Lost 11 pounds
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
Maria P.
on 10/14/11 9:56 am
VSG on 01/09/12
 Not a pro, but maybe you skipped a page or it's a mistake?
5'3"  Age 38

HW: 216
Month 1: 20.6
acbbrown
on 10/14/11 9:57 am - Granada Hills, CA
Im not a psychiatric professional, but I have a degree in psychology and have some exposure to the mmpi through work ( i work in the legal field though)

From my understanding, a result of "invalid" couple mean a number of things so without more, theres no way to know exactly what it's suppose to mean.

Just for example - i believe the test might come back invalid if its evident to the person evaluating the test that the person is trying to make themselves look good, and not being truthful. You might get an invalid result if someone answers two questions inconsistently with each other - ie the person answers "true" to both : I am depressed most of the time" and "I am happy most of the time". These are just some examples that I can remember - but its been a while since I was in college. These are just examples - but scoring the test is much more complex so i wouldn't worry about it.

Did you ask the psychologist what it meant?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

dittodotv
on 10/14/11 1:11 pm, edited 10/14/11 1:13 pm

I had never heard of this before, so I did an Internet search on this and found this article pretty interesting... it is three pages long, so I hope you can follow the link and keep clicking "next" ~ I hope your pschiatric professional gets you a quick answer!

http://psychology.about.com/od/psychologicaltesting/a/mmpi.htm

(just added) I meant to add, page 3 identifies "validity scales" of this test...maybe this is helpful?

Best wishes to you~

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

Foxbins
on 10/14/11 1:16 pm

I'm a psychologist.  There are validity checks built in to the MMPI and if you trip too many of them, the test will come back invalid.  For example, if you skip more than 12 questions, if you answer all T or all F or randomly or in a pattern (TTF TTF TTF, for example), if you answer in a way that makes you sound too virtuous, that endorses unusual psychiatric symptoms, or that denies any problems at all.

Does your psychologist want you to take it again?

Most Active