Waking up with bile in my mouth

Michelle N.
on 10/17/11 9:20 pm - Edgewater, CO
This happen to anyone ? I woke at 4 am with an acid taste in my mouth which caused me to vomit. And it was awfully hard to get the taste out of my mouth afterward!  Very kinda scary especially when youre half asleep. Did i cause this somehow is there a way to avoid it?  

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

amanda D.
on 10/17/11 9:37 pm - Stayton, OR
I actually had that yesterday.   I fell asleep on the couch reading a book, next thing I knew I was gagging and gasping for air, trying really hard not to vomit.

The reason mine happened is I waited too long to take my PPI and ate red chile for lunch lol  Totally not the highlight of my day. 

jacreasy
on 10/18/11 6:49 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 WHAT IS A PPI??? 
George B.
on 10/18/11 7:02 am - Miami, FL
PPI stands for Proton Pump Inhibitor.

Post-op our stomach still produces a lot of acid. A PPI, like Nexium or Prilosec, reduces the stomach acid, reduces hunger and prevents acid reflux.

I was on a PPI for 6 months post-op. Some people are on a PPI for a year or more post-op. 

Nexium and Prilosec really helped me with acid post-op. 

Michelle N.
on 10/17/11 9:41 pm - Edgewater, CO
aghhh....yes it was horrible. For a second I thought I might have fell asleep with a tylenol or somthing in my mouth but it was just acid .Yuck!! I didnt eat anything spicy though. Hmmm
J.e.t.
on 10/17/11 9:44 pm
 I used to have that happen a lot before surgery, it was awful.  Do you take a PPI?
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

Michelle N.
on 10/17/11 9:46 pm - Edgewater, CO
 Ive never had this happen before. I got "acidy" for a while after surgery but never woke up with a mouth full.  I do take prilosec daily.  Im prayin it doesnt happen again. 
deactivated member
on 10/17/11 10:24 pm
I believe that is classic acid reflux. I had it pre surgery about twice a year. Milk helps the taste.

If you have medication for acid and this happens more, tell your surgeon. It can cause a lot of damage when it happens regularly.
doggz109
on 10/17/11 11:28 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12 with
Sounds like reflux.  Might want to bring it up to your doctor and see what they think.  You may need to change what PPI you take or adjust something else.