Knee trouble pre op; post op changes?

weighless
on 10/23/11 9:28 pm - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
I am so proud of the post I read of many of you with such successful weight loss.  To those of you who had arthritic knees to begin with, did that improve with surgery?  I am sedentary [still pre-op] and I have to climb stairs using my hands due to incredible knee pain and weak quadracep muscles from poor exercise.  I'd love to hear your stories...Jane
Janie
  54 yr. female 5'7" / HW 283 / Consult W 253 / SW 240.5 / CW 167  
Month 1:  Lost 20 pounds
Month 2:  Lost 11 pounds
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
USAF Wife
on 10/23/11 9:33 pm
I can say that the chronic pain is gone, but I can still tell you at least 2 before it's gonna rain, or thunderstorm. My knees still ache with certain weight-bearing exercises, but I can walk, walk, walk without issue. Lunges and squats hurt even at 125lbs, and my knees still swell. I've had 2 ACL surgeries, with meniscus tissue removed from my left knee, my right knee is shot, but with physical therapy and building the muscles, I've been able to avoid surgery on my right knee.

I no longer have to take breaks at the mall to let my knees rest nor do I have to prop them at night after a day at the fair. But, the damage is done, and I do get achey in the colder months. Nothing like pre-op, but it's there and it's not going anywhere regardless of how much weight I lose, or how much I work the muscles in my legs.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Mom4Jazz
on 10/23/11 10:41 pm, edited 10/23/11 10:43 pm
Much better. I did have Orthovisc injections in my right knee about 6 weeks pre-op and it was already some better but has continued to improve. The left was bad but not nearly AS bad and has improved dramatically - no pain at all.

At some point my right knee is still a candidate for replacement. One of my many goals was to have enough weight off so I could have it replaced if needed, but now that I have only intermittent pain (bad weather, lots of stairs) I wouldn't consider having it replaced at this point. I may need to continue the Orthovisc injections annually, but I can live with that.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

dejahsmom096
on 10/23/11 11:19 pm
I had very bad pain in my left leg and knee, When I went to the hospital for surgey they put those air compressors on my legs. I have had no pain since. I don't know if the blood wasn't circulating, but no more pain. The doctor told me a 20 pound lost would take the pain away.
T.R       

infodiva808
on 10/24/11 12:15 am, edited 10/24/11 12:16 am
Right after I met with the surgeon I started physical therapy because in order to be successful one must exercise. I started doing the prescribed exercises while in bed and then the took me to the pool where I continued. It is okay to use your pain relief meds while you are gaining strength. It helps you progress. Eventually you will find you are getting stronger and are having less pain. Even the change in diet will start to relieve your pain. Just be focused and committed to improving and ask for help as you need it. See my 2 year surgiversary post.

Margo N.
on 10/24/11 5:07 am
I have osteoarthritis in both knees and had a knee replacement in my right knee a few years prior to my VSG. I had become increasingly sedentary due to the pain in my knees and ankles prior to my VSG.

I found that as my weight dropped, and as my body alignment improved (i.e. size of thighs no longer pushing hips knees and ankles out of alignment) that my arthritic pain has entirely disappeared. I am guessing that i have delayed a replacement on the left knee for many years, and may even avoid a revision of the right - certainly I should get an extra ten years or so due to the weight loss.

Good luck!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 5:12 am
Any arthritis in my knees right now is mild. I damaged my knees at a very young age initially, and get the whole "I know when it's going to rain" deal and aching with temperature changes.

Now use of knees, what I experienced is that any regular use of my knees prior to WL put me near to crippled for weeks after. So I'd say walk a mile and for days after could barely get out of a chair.

I no longer experience that at all. If I overdo it (I'm fond of squats and lunges) I will get the pain immediately that tells me I went too far or did something wrong and I stop. But by the next day I'm fine.

There is a marked improvement IMO after the weight is off. I am so much more mobile and am getting ready to start a walk/jog routine daily.

Also if knee problems persist post op, your best exercise options are bike and water aerobics. Bike never ever hurt my knees!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views