Eating after VSG

mamatothree
on 11/8/11 11:26 am - Charleston, SC

So I had my VSG a month ago and have now been cleared to start eating normal foods. I am not ready to give up regular (or even lowfat) cheese and am worried that I won't be able to lose the 80# that I want.

Additionally, I have found that I am a boredom eater. Most days, when I am sitting around the house, I am looking for something to eat or something to drink. How do I break that BAD habit?

Can y'all offer any advice?  Thank you !!!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

pedirn06
on 11/8/11 11:33 am
VSG on 01/26/12
Have not gotten my sleeve yet, but I also am worried about impulse eating.  I tend to "stress" eat.  I would like to "just stop".....
SassyItalian
on 11/8/11 11:37 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Cheese has been an integral part of my diet from mushies to solids, from losing to maintenence. There is no reason you should have to give it up. You will find that straight up meat- chicken, beef, etc makes you fullest and keeps you fullest longest and fills you for eating a smaller amount, so its better in that right than cheese. but cheese can still be a part of your diet in moderation for a snack.

as long as you are following plan you will lose weight, and when we find what works with us and habits we enjoy such as eating protein-y snacks like cheese are what will help us keep our lifestyle.

here's to cheese!

as far as the boredom eating, its good you know you are doing it. when you are bored go for a walk, chew gum, clean, organize, get a hobby like knitting or scrapbooking that keeps your hands busy. maybe that will help.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

roundater
on 11/8/11 11:40 am - Lincoln, NE
Increased activity both physical and mental has done wonders for me in cutting down my carb cravings. My gym workouts have really helped me along in my journey.
Rich Sonderegger

frisco
on 11/8/11 11:47 am

In the nicest way I can explain.......

I guess I was in a different place when I had this surgery.......

I knew my ways didn't work.....I had the perfect recipe to "Super Morbidly Obese"

My posture......was do what I needed to do......

Things like "not ready to give up" and "I'm a boredom eater"

Your so far ahead of the game.... you have isolated your issues....

Give some things up.......Get un-bored......

Not one of us that have gone through this process didn't have issues.....you just don't get to the point of needing WLS without issues......

No real easy answer......

My suggestion would be to get some more commitment.....that seems to be the biggest common denominator of the people that have lost the weight.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

edelu
on 11/8/11 12:10 pm - los angeles, CA
I never gave up cheese. In fact it's usually my dinner when i get home late just cut off a piece and I'm satisfied.  If i was super hungry it's not what i would choose.  Lately I've been frying 11/2oz of Quesa Fresca it feels sinful and forbidden but it is not.  i have it with a slice of avocado and some bruschetta sauce.  Really delicious.  Here's the other advice.  Get out of the house. Give yourself whatever reason because sitting or lying around does not require hunger for us to put something in our mouths.  Boredom is cat nip to eating crap.  Go shopping even window shopping, go to the park, for a walk to the gym, find a hobby, but fill that time that you would be mindlessly eating until you get a handle on what post surgery life should be.  good luck.
MyOwnSunshine
on 11/8/11 12:11 pm
I eat full-fat cheese and stay within my calorie range.  I hate low-fat and fat-free cheese and would eliminate cheese altogether before I would switch to either.  My plan considers nuts and cheese "condiments," so they aren't to be used as the main protein source in a meal, but they can be used sparingly.

As far as the boredom eating -- stop sitting around the house.  Turn off the TV.  Get out and do things.  Exercise -- as many times a day as you need to to keep yourself from eating.  Every time you want to eat because you're bored, clean something.  That'll teach ya!

My surgeon's plan is kind of vague, but you get a lot of individual input from the NUTs and exercise physiologists.

I have to follow 5 rules for life, and one of those rules is:

NO UNPLANNED EATING

This means boredom eating.  Just don't go there.  I agree with Frisco that you are in trouble if you aren't committed enough in your mind to resist temptation and grazing immediately post-op.  You need to do what you have to do to get to the point of being purposeful in your eating choices, and not making excuses about grazing or eating what you shouldn't. 

I say this to everyone, so don't be offended...  Get counseling.  It teaches you to change your thought processes and deal with your "head hunger."

Good luck!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Happy966
on 11/8/11 1:31 pm

I am a compulsive overeater, which for me means that I want to eat in response to a whole range of human emotions: stress, boredom, joy, excitment, anxiety.  All those desires I have to eat off plan are manifestations of my addictive relationship to food.  The way I get better is to not eat in response to those addictive desires. 

My best advice would be to have a good food plan and follow it.  Make following it a priority, not something you'll do if it doesn't interfere with something else.  I always learn something when I sit there feeling my addictive desires (my version of "head hunger") without acting on them.  The most important thing I learn is that those feelings will pass.  Especially if I do not act on them.

A plan helps me limit the choices I have to make around food.  There are foods I have given up for what I hope is forever, and foods I have given up for today.  Many successful folks eat full fat cheese and many successful folks do not.  I have never been successful unless I have been willing to eat differently from the ways that got me fat in the first place. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active