Having Fatty Liver and doing Pre Op Liquid Diet

bathoria
on 11/12/11 2:03 am - San Antonio, TX
 I have fatty liver so my question is,does this liquid diet will help to shrink my liver anyway,having fatty  liver??? I would love to know to those who had surgery and fatty liver. What a happens if I follow the strict diet like I am doing it but my surgeon still see fat around my liver? How does he know I never cheat on my diet? :( Thanks!!!

Debra P.
on 11/12/11 2:14 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 He will know you are following the pre op diet because you will drop about 10 to 15 pounds.

MochaGal
on 11/12/11 5:29 am
OMG!! 10-15lbs?  That is why I'm so freaked out!!  My surgeon put me on a 5 day liquid diet.  How am I supposed to lose that much weight in just 5 days.  I'm not losing ANYthing.  I keep hearing about people being on it for 2 weeks and all.  I have 2 days to go and I'm no way near losing enough weight.  STRESS!!!
Sigh.
Debra P.
on 11/12/11 5:42 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Well, 10 to 15 pounds for a 2 week pre op diet.  I have no idea what he expects you to lose in 5 days.

califsleevin
on 11/12/11 2:27 am - CA
Fatty liver is a common malady amongst the obese, so it comes with the territory for bariatric surgeons. The couple weeks, or whatever is prescribed, of diet isn't going to cure it, but it can improve its condition enough that those surgeons who are concerned about it have more confidence working around it (some surgeons require the diet as a routine practice while others don't - it's not a universal requirement.) As to whether or not he could tell if you cheated on it, I would expect (far from expert here, though) that there would be some signs that the condition is in recession as opposed to continuing to worsen.

The main point of the exercise is to make his job a little easier, but if he's overly worried about a little fatty liver, he shouldn't be a bariatric surgeon - as noted above, it's part of his job.

Good luck with your journey,

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

metime
on 11/12/11 2:42 am - chesapeake, VA
I too had a fatty liver... II followed the diet to the T.. still got six holes in me at surgery not sure if that is the norm..but Im thinking they needed an extra hole to hold that baby up.. good news is at three months post my liver enzymes where normal for the first time in 10 years...so I will take it..now I am six months out and still normal size liver..

Mom4Jazz
on 11/12/11 5:03 am
In addition to being fatty, your liver has huge amounts of glycogen, which makes it slick. The entire fatty liver thing isn't going to go away in a pre-op diet, but the worst of the glycogen will be gone and it won't be slick as snot (sorry, icky but accurate).

There are two ways your surgeon will know: Mine cancels surgery for anyone who has gained ANYTHING between the last appointment and the surgery - you should lose, though how much varies based on the person and the length of the diet. The other is if your liver is very slick and fatty, he'll know you haven't stuck to the diet.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

bersjourney
on 11/12/11 8:39 am
Interesting.
  Ber HT: 5'0 ~ 1st GW: 199 "My journey starts within myself."
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
bathoria
on 11/13/11 12:48 pm - San Antonio, TX
Thank you all so much and Thanks Mom4Jazz for your answer,is very interesting :)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views