HOW MUCH OAT MEAL CAN U EAT??

MS.LISA
on 12/9/11 4:51 am - Salem, OR
 I am a little over a year and I can have one of the packets of oatmeal with milk it weighs about 4ounces  I can eat the whole thing but feeled all the up.
Do you know if this is to much to eat when are tummys are suposed to be as big as a egg?
I feel totally stuffed , I do have a problem with eating like every couple of hours also, im afraid I will stretch my tummy this way, do you think thats what im doing??????

Smardeepants
on 12/9/11 5:01 am
I'm not at goal yet, so I don't eat oatmeal... but a couple thoughts on what you posted.
My surgeon has me measure most foods (except meat) by volume... meaning how much space they take up. While it doesn't work for all foods, it helps knowing how much space you'll be filling your tummy with.

He also says to eat a pre-measured amount. For me at (not quite) 6mos post-op that's 2oz plus a couple bites of veggies. COULD I eat more? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean I SHOULD. I stick with my pre-measured amount and stop.

We also don't have "pouches" so the size of an egg thing may be off... my surgeon compares sleeves to a small, thin banana.

As far as being hungry in a couple of hours, carbs (ESPECIALLY carbs without protein!) will trigger hunger/cravings every time.

Hope this helps! 

KathyA999
on 12/9/11 5:14 am
I rarely eat oatmeal, and when I do I make it from scratch.  Cooking instructions call for a third of a cup dry, which when cooked is about right for me, at about 15 mos. out.  Sometimes I can fini**** sometimes I can't.  (I don't use milk, I use butter and sweetener.)  My advise would be to eat to a point where you feel comfortable but not stuffed, then stop.  I've learned (most of the time, ha!) what it feels like when I've reached my comfortable limit, and I bet you've got a good idea of what that is for you too.

What Smardeepants said....   To which I'll add, it's very difficult to stretch a sleeve, unlike the pouch created by the RNY.  The sleeve is constructed in a way that leaves the stronger stomach muscles in place, which are hard to stretch, whereas the pouch is constructed from the fundus, a stretchier tissue.  Also, the pouch's stoma does tend to stretch wider, so food doesn't stay as long in the pounch.  We have a functional pylorus, which releases food into the intestines naturally. 

People have posted on here that we CAN stretch the sleeve by consistently overeating, meal after meal, day after day, for months at a time.  If we avoid doing that, I think we'll enjoy great restriction for a long long time - hopefully for life. 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Ramon333
on 9/17/17 8:28 pm
I'm 8 weeks post op and I'm eating a lot more than I expected to be able to eat (6-8 oz meat or fish, etc). You mentioned that a sleeve is constructed in a way that leaves the stronger stomach muscles in place, which are hard to stretch. Do you have a reference that you can share to confirm that information because I'm very interested in clarifying this question that I have. Thank you for your information in advance. Stay well.
Terry H.
on 12/9/11 5:40 am
 Slightly OT: Bariatric pantry has a high protein oatmeal.  I've had it and it isn't bad.  I usually add a little more water and put some protein powder in for an additional boost (flavor, texture, protein). 

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

wls2011
on 12/9/11 6:11 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 I was told by the surgeon's PA to never eat more than 4 ounces at a meal for life...now I told her that I do eat more than that in yogurt about 5 ounces, but she didn't seem bothered by that, so I guess soft foods/liquid meals don't count....and she definitely feels you can stretch the sleeve by eating larger portions, I questioned her about the fundus, and how I heard it was not very stretchy, but she said the stomach is still biological tissue...(I guess meaning that it is adaptive, as our bodies are very capable at adapting)

I eat Mccan's Irish oatmeal (1 packet mixed with water)...(eating right now in fact)....can eat about 1/2 of the total portion...not sure what the ounces are when prepared...says 43 grams in the packet...

Anyhoo...whether or not it can indeed stretch...I plan to still be careful on portion size and not take any chances....

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

BriarRose
on 12/9/11 7:06 am
I can eat a packet of oatmeal, or just about a whole packet. I make it with water, and add a couple tablespoons of powdered dry non fat milk, for more protein. I usually put a about a tablespoon of raisens in it, or cut up 1/4 of an apple.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
MS.LISA
on 12/9/11 7:10 am - Salem, OR
THANKS EVERYONE FOR ANSWERING!
I probably should ask over at the maintanance as well to get some vets opinions as well.
It all comes down to not eating so much, lol!
thanks everyone!

.: Rana :.
on 12/9/11 1:51 pm - Near Grass Valley, CA
I often have 1 packet of organic oatmeal with 1/4 apple chopped up and a small handful of chopped walnuts, along with 1 soy sausage pattie.  If I'm really hungry I have 2 packets of oatmeal, but I usually can't fini**** all.  Instead I now try adding 1/2 an apple to 1 packet of oatmeal if I'm really hungry.

Btw, I'm about 4 1/2 YEARS post-op.

~Rana
Jesus doesn't want me for a zombie, and He's given me free will so I can choose.  I've escaped this world's snare but I don't have to be square.  Oh yes, I have become a Christian but I still know how to groove!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juR8DoshsUk

Starting weight: 231; Goal weight: 140; Lowest weight: 117;
Current weight: 137 - 140

Maintaining Cindy
on 12/9/11 1:57 pm
I eat rolled oats (not cooked) daily for breakfast.

In a cup I put about 1/3 c oats then a 1/2 a banana or small handful of raisins.  I then fill it to the brim with light milk, drink some of the milk with my vitamins and supplements and enjoy the rest with my oats....  Yummy... 

I am 2.5 years out.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 33 views