VSG 9 days ago; complications/improvements!

weighless
on 1/20/12 12:50 am - OH
VSG on 01/11/12

I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy Wednesday 1/11/12. My progress has been slow in recovery. But thanks to a Bariatric Center of excellance and my wonderful surgeon Dr. Ben Mier it came out well.  He was competent, commpassionate and capable.  Here's what happened:  While I was in the recovery room I had extremely high heart rate and blood pressure. Infusions were started to bring the pressure down. I was sent to intensive care unit. I was out of it. They tell me that upon arrival to ICU my blood pressure went extremely low. I was draining large amounts of blood in my stomach drain. So they knew I was bleeding inside. Short story, I ended up in viscious cycles of hypertension and hypotension that needed frequent IVs to control. Normally you would be up and walking the evening of surgery, but I was not permitted out of bed whatsoever. By day two in the ICU I had lost some blood.  The bleeding was caused by the irregular blood pressures.  But transfusion was dangerous at that point because it could make my heart race and BP spike so they had to hold off the transfusions. I became extremely short of breath and tests for pulmonary embolism and chest CT were done. Thankfully, they were negative. My heart was just working overtime to compensate. By the early morning hours of day three in ICU, I was stable enough to endure 2 units of packed red blood cell transfusion. My blood count was critically low. After that evening my blood count remained critically low but my BP stabilized.  By Saturday my BP was stable and I was sent to the bariatric unit. There I received 3 units of Iron. My bleeding was slowing down. I stayed in the hospital until Sunday afternoon. Upon my release from the hospital my blood counts stable. 
I'm getting stronger, I'm on the mend, and I'm happy and on my way.  I wouldn't change a thing.  I love my new sleeve!!!  

Janie
  54 yr. female 5'7" / HW 283 / Consult W 253 / SW 240.5 / CW 167  
Month 1:  Lost 20 pounds
Month 2:  Lost 11 pounds
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
trayb17
on 1/20/12 1:01 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I am happy you are on the mend! Wishing you a speedy recovery
lovetoread
on 1/20/12 1:17 am - East Amherst, NY
I'm glad that you feel better! You had your surgery on a great day - my daughter's 18th birthday!
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

Jenny C.
on 1/20/12 1:37 am
That all sounds like quite the roller-coaster to go through right after surgery!  So glad you are home and stable.  Take it easy and really focus on your fluids!  Wishing you smooth sailing from here and wonderful success to come.
Jenny

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/20/12 1:45 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Wow! Janie! My almost sleeve sister!!! Hope things are all smooth from here on. You had your share of fun already. Was thinking of you!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Could_It_Be
on 1/20/12 1:49 am
 Holy Cow that's scary!! SO glad you are on the mend!

Take care of you!

VSG on 6/22/11
photobia
on 1/20/12 2:12 am - NE
VSG on 01/11/12
I'm glad everything turned out ok. That is scary.

skyjem
on 1/20/12 2:15 am - Canada
Scary start but I'm glad your doing better. Welcome to the bench!

frisco
on 1/20/12 2:25 am

Hey.....Tough start !!!

Sounds like your on your way now !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

AmberK
on 1/20/12 2:36 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 So sorry for all you are going through! I am excited that there is someone who has had trouble but does not regret their decision1 Thanks for sharing with us and please keep us posted! 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views