Sleeve stretching?!

mamatothree
on 1/24/12 12:39 pm - Charleston, SC
I met with my surgeon for my 3 month check up the other day, and he told me that over time, my sleeve is going to stretch out. This is scaring the #%*!? out of me. I am doing a good job of cutting back on what I am eating and not eating junk, etc. but I am so scared of what is going to happen if my sleeve stretches. Has anyone been through this? Help!! Thanks, Tamar

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

frisco
on 1/24/12 12:50 pm

It's tissue....not steel......

The only way to really stretch it is repeated over eating.....

Always under eat your sleeve......

Never eat till your full.....eat fixed measured amounts under your capacity.

My restriction is about the same as 4-5 months out......2oz. dense protein and 1oz. veggie as a baseline.

You/we  stretch it....it doesn't stretch by itself.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

TonyEldridge
on 1/24/12 1:05 pm - Forney, TX
VSG on 12/28/11 with
 My doctor told me going into the surgery that my sleeve would stretch over time. Not much compared to the whole stomach, but I'd probably go from 2-3 oz, to maybe around 6 oz or so. That stretching is normal. What we have to watch out for is stretching it beyond that through bad eating/drinking choices. 

One of the reason's we're on such a liquid and soft diet for weeks after the surgery is to give the stomach time to heal before the normal stretching starts.

At least, that's what I have always understood him to say.

Mom4Jazz
on 1/24/12 8:08 pm
It depends on your surgeon's technique (how much of the gastric fundus they leave behind) and your behavior.

Capacity increases the first few months as the stomach heals (but that's OK because at the very beginning you can only eat a few spoonfuls). Then it mostly levels off if you've got a nice tight sleeve.

If you overeat, you can stretch it some. How much depends on how much fundus you have left, but as Frisco said it's tissue not steel so even a tight sleeve can be stretched with regular overeating.

I saw Frisco's advice on not overeating my sleeve early on and have followed it. I haven't had much change in capacity since about 3 1/2 to 4 months out.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

abrown8434
on 1/25/12 2:45 am - VA
Just keep it simple and don't be scared! The most stretchy part of your stomach is permanently GONE FOREVER! That means that the 20% you have left can only stretch so much (THANK GOD)!

Now, w/gastric bypass patients I have read where the pouch not only can stretch but sometimes a certain portion of the intenstines the new stomach is hooked up to can also start a second pouch which is why big overeaters can almost get to the point where they can eat a normal plate of food. However, that is not the procedure I ever desired to have done or have had done so I am not the expert.

Frisco gave you great advice & any other the good vets will too--always UNDEREAT your sleeve. My max is 2 oz so I always eat 1 1/2 tops. When I dont' feel like eating, like today, I don't. I get my protein primarily through my shakes and eat here and there when I can.

My doc assured me that the goal is to get you to eat a small plate (teacup saucer) and the most I can hope to eat at a year or more out is 4-6 oz. Knowing that I continue to undereat my sleeve and hope to continue with 2 oz max capacity as long as I can.

Regardless the work is in UNDEREATING your pouch, proper choices and solid exercise. If you do that for life you cannot go wrong. Best of luck to you!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

theshrinkingmimi
on 1/25/12 4:55 am
Not a very productive meeting with your surgeon if you are this freaked out.  Yes it stretches from the post-op size, but not all the way back to before unless you work really hard at it. The most stretchy part is gone. Use this time to learn portion control and other new eating habits. 

I'm glad that I can eat more than I did at 3 months.  But I still get full quickly so I eat slowly so that I won't accidently overeat.

Don't stress so much. It is bad for weight loss.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active